Rays Series III

Frobby

The O’s head to St. Pete for four games with the Rays, having won 3 of 5 previous meetings, including a 1-1 split with the Rays at the Trop in June.  The two teams are in a virtual tie for best record in the AL, with the O’s at 58-37 and the Rays at 60-39.   So, the O’s could be as many as 4 games up or 4 games behind when this series is over.  

On paper, it’s a good time to be playing Tampa, which has lost 10 of its last 13 games.   It’s mostly been the offense that’s the problem.  Their team OPS by month:

March/April: .879

May: .778

June: .740

July: .635

Frankly, their offense was playing way over their heads early in the year, and now they’ve been playing below their capabilities.   We can hope they remain cold, but it’s up to our pitchers to keep them that way.  The matchups;

Gibson (9-6, 4.77 ERA) vs. Glasnow (3-7, 3.78)

Bradish (6-4, 3.05) vs. Elfin (10-5, 3.59)

Rodriguez (2-2, 7.33) vs. McClanahan (11-1, 2.56)

Wells (7-5, 3.54) vs. Bradley (5-6, 5.29)

In the previous meetings, McClanahan shut us out for 6 innings, Bradley dominated us for 6, but we got to Glasnow and Elfin.  Gibson, Rodriguez and Bradish all fared solidly, while Wells didn’t pitch badly but some unearned runs led to a loss.  

I’m hopeful that we can keep Tampa’s offense in check and score enough runs to win. On paper, Tampa’s offense is better than ours based on both OPS and runs/game, but that hasn’t been the case of late and hopefully we can take advantage. 

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 4

Biggest series of the year, so far.

I'm excited for it. Though I have a feeling it'll be a 2-2 split.

Gunnar is heating up. 5 game hit streak with 2 homers and a triple. He's got a 1.027 OPS over the past 7 games. His swing on the homer today looked great. He could have a big series.

Really surprising none of the games this weekend are on any sort of national TV like FOX or ESPN.

I'm betting this is a split which is fine b/c we'd still be up in the season series and in the standings. Rays have to come to OPACY for 4 in Sept.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

I'd rather see GrayRod vs. Bradley and Wells vs. McClanahan but this is a must-see series regardless.

As close to a playoff feel as anything  you're going to get in July, that's for sure.

I'm planning on wearing an Oriole jersey to work Thursday, something I normally would only do if I was going to the game after work or maybe for a playoff game.  Made plans to go out with a friend and watch the game too.

But still the odds of Rays making the playoffs are 95% or so. Orioles are around 89  4 %. Both teams would have to really collapse for either of them not  to at least get the third wild card. Or one of the Yankees, Angels or Mariners going on something like a 29-7 run 

Edited by Going Underground

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

This might end up being the biggest series we play all regular season. 4 games on the road against the co-division leader. The fact that MLB isn’t marketing this better just shows how behind the times they are. 

The MLB marketing machine knows only Judge & Ohtani.  

Let's stay under the radar a little while longer.  I like our guys to exceed expectations.

• Upvote 1