This triple by Gunnar

banks703

21 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They aren’t going to devalue Holliday because of how good Gunnar is. 

I don’t really understand what this means.   Whoever is the better shortstop will play shortstop.   The other one will play some other position.  It’s about putting the team in the best position to win games.  Nobody is going to be “devalued.”

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really understand what this means.   Whoever is the better shortstop will play shortstop.   The other one will play some other position.  It’s about putting the team in the best position to win games.  Nobody is going to be “devalued.”

We’ve beaten up this topic to no end. I think most folks still see the 1:1 draft pick and assume that the org will clear the path for said 1:1 player, like he’s owed a position of his choosing.

Gunnar is the better defensive SS. You don’t move the better defensive player to clear the way for the weaker defensive player. They aren’t the Jeter and ARod.

2 minutes ago, banks703 said:

We’ve beaten up this topic to no end. I think most folks still see the 1:1 draft pick and assume that the org will clear the path for said 1:1 player, like he’s owed a position of his choosing.

Gunnar is the better defensive SS. You don’t move the better defensive player to clear the way for the weaker defensive player. They aren’t the Jeter and ARod.

I don’t assume Gunnar will be the better defender at SS once Holliday matures, but he might be.  If he is, then he plays SS.  Simple as that.  

3 hours ago, banks703 said:

This heady play by Gunnar is reminiscent of the Manny no-throw play. What a treat is it to have an uber talented young kid making heads up plays in a big game when his team needs someone to make one. 

That play reminded me of Pete Rose. The hustling, all baseball, Pete Rose...not the disgrace and rule breaker.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t assume Gunnar will be the better defender at SS once Holliday matures, but he might be.  If he is, then he plays SS.  Simple as that.  

I’ve seen a lot of both of them in the minors. Gunnar at 19 was pretty advanced defensively and a lot further along than is Holliday. Holliday’s arm is never going to catch Gunnar’s and Gunnar has more range. The thought has been that Gunnar outgrows the position, which may happen. 

From the amount that I’ve seen of both of them, it’s my opinion that Gunnar has a better chance to stick at SS than does Holliday. That’s me assuming that Joey Ortiz gets moved because he’s better defensively than everyone else in the system. 

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

That play reminded me of Pete Rose. The hustling, all baseball, Pete Rose...not the disgrace and rule breaker.

YES! The hustle, absolutely.

What I meant though was that both were high baseball IQ plays by a couple of fresh face kids at a time when their team needed them.  

43 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm just amused because of how many people there were bemoaning and complaining to send him down back in April.

I knew he would hit, however I was down on his defense at 3rd and I even said he wasn't a 3rd baseman and maybe he should be sent down to learn 1B... I'll eat Crow...lol... He'll be just fine with more experience, I believe he's really good at the balls he chases but reaction plays to the bag side has given him some problems but that's to be expected since he's been a SS all his life....In my defense We have Mayo, and Holliday coming fast with no 1B option in the system so Mayo and Kjerstad should be splitting time at 1B and their natural position  

10 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I’ve seen a lot of both of them in the minors. Gunnar at 19 was pretty advanced defensively and a lot further along than is Holliday. Holliday’s arm is never going to catch Gunnar’s and Gunnar has more range. The thought has been that Gunnar outgrows the position, which may happen. 

From the amount that I’ve seen of both of them, it’s my opinion that Gunnar has a better chance to stick at SS than does Holliday. That’s me assuming that Joey Ortiz gets moved because he’s better defensively than everyone else in the system. 

I didn’t see either one play in the minors.  Statistically, Gunnar was way more error prone at SS than Holliday is.  Holliday is a .968 fielder at SS so far.  Gunnar was at .893 in rookie ball and then .927 in his first year of full-season ball.   Gunnar’s range numbers were better, keeping in mind that Range Factor is influenced by a number of factors outside of the fielders control.   Gunnar got better every year defensively, and is still getting better.  I’d like to see Holliday get that same opportunity to show improvement.  I certainly doubt he can match Gunnar’s arm.

26 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'd like to start saying "That play reminded me of Jorge Mateo, always looking to vulch an extra base!" or "That play reminded me of 1969 Rod Carew and the 7 times he stole home when defenses would get lackadaisical".

I personally am ready to leave discussion of Pete Rose for the void, since there are so many awful things (Ray Fosse, Harrelson, gambling) that require qualification whenever I want to say something good about him.

I'd be interested in your order of these, Roy...who did the most damage to the reputation of baseball ranking Hal Chase, Pete Rose, and Barry Bonds.

6 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

I'd like to start saying "That play reminded me of Jorge Mateo, always looking to vulch an extra base!" or "That play reminded me of 1969 Rod Carew and the 7 times he stole home when defenses would get lackadaisical".

I personally am ready to leave discussion of Pete Rose for the void, since there are so many awful things (Ray Fosse, Harrelson, gambling) that require qualification whenever I want to say something good about him.

I'd be interested in your order of these, Roy...who did the most damage to the reputation of baseball ranking Hal Chase, Pete Rose, and Barry Bonds.

Sometimes its ok just to take a comment in the spirit in which it was intended

• Upvote 1