This triple by Gunnar

banks703

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It may have been scored a triple for technical reasons, but what a stupid, lazy play by Arozarena.   I’m glad Gunnar made him pay for it.  

Arozarena definitely lollygagged there, but it was also on the infielders.  There was no one on 3rd to field the throw and Glasnow got there way too late.

Edited by Hallas

A good throw holds him to 2nd base.  The lousy throw (the airmail soft lob toss) cost them 3rd base- can't you argue the extra base resulted from the poor throw and award an error on the throw?  I'm happy he got a triple, but I'd score it a double and E on the throw....

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t see either one play in the minors.  Statistically, Gunnar was way more error prone at SS than Holliday is.  Holliday is a .968 fielder at SS so far.  Gunnar was at .893 in rookie ball and then .927 in his first year of full-season ball.   Gunnar’s range numbers were better, keeping in mind that Range Factor is influenced by a number of factors outside of the fielders control.   Gunnar got better every year defensively, and is still getting better.  I’d like to see Holliday get that same opportunity to show improvement.  I certainly doubt he can match Gunnar’s arm.

Gunnar's arm rates higher but his fielding rates lower. Holliday is rated currently as a 55 fielder with a 55 arm. Gunnar a 50 fielder with a 65 arm, he has a cannon, but much like a cannon he frequently misses the mark. They have a remarkably close scouting profile, it's a gain for us if they both live up to their potential.

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

Arozarena definitely lollygagged there, but it was also on the infielders.  There was no one on 3rd to field the throw and Glasnow got there way too late.

Sort of reminded me of Elly stealing home, the pitcher was staring into the outfield and he walked 3/4's of the way there before anyone knew what was going on.

10 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm just amused because of how many people there were bemoaning and complaining to send him down back in April.

There are always those people. The ones who can't believe that Cowser hasn't been sent back to Norfolk. The guy who I sat next to at a game years ago who couldn't fathom that the GM hadn't been fired for having Caleb Joseph on the team after he started his career 1-for-25. 100% guarantee there were some people who'd written off Cal after he OPS'd .320 in his first 41 games, but luckily they didn't have the internet to forever preserve their unfiltered rantings.

• Upvote 1

There is some refinement in Gunnar’s game that is needed..better vs lefties, throws can be inaccurate at times…but man, when he really puts all of this together, he has top 10 player in the league capabilities.

He, not Adley, should be the extension priority (although you would like both).

Just wonder if he will sign one. Just give me 8 or 9 years. Still plenty of time to sign a mega deal after that.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He, not Adley, should be the extension priority (although you would like both).

I’d be thrilled if we got either one of them extended.   

Watching Gunnar as this season goes along is a little like watching Audrey II in Little Shop of Horrors.   FEED ME!!!