What do we do about Jorge Mateo?

OsFanSinceThe80s

7 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

A few weeks ago I thought @Sports Guyhad lost his mind when he created a thread saying it was time to DFA Mateo. I argued that he had speed and defense and would be a great bench player for a playoff team. I think it is clear that Mateo needs regular playing time or his defense falls off.

So whether or not @Sports Guyhas lost his mind is still up for debate 🤣 but I do think he was correct when he said it was time for Mateo to go. 

I will have these mass produced for just such an occasion. 

SportsGuyWasRight.png

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Agreed. Mateo shouldn't be doing any batting. But neither should Frazier.

Care to elaborate? Frazier has a number of key hits. Mateo is a mess and if you don’t want to cut him it’s time to break a toenail. They need to try to fix his swing.

it’s just my two cents but I think his struggles and reduced role are hurting his defense.

I agree completely. Mateo is not carrying his weight on this team. I can only surmise that they are trying to add him into a trade for pitching and are giving people the cholce of him or Ortiz. The infield can be Henderson, Urias, Fraiser Westburg and one of [Ortiz/Mateo] or even Vavra. Holiday is going to come up late next year (like Henderson did), not get a full year of service time BUT be on the opening day roster in 2025. (see the following for how this would give the O's an extra high draft pick. https://www.sportingnews.com/.../ja5ts8eaxcuv85xujnzriafb). Some of these roster moves are not obvious (I'm not saying I have it figured out) because they are thinking 3-4 steps down the road.

I have a theory about Mateo from watching him the last three years: he needs to play almost every day to play excellent defense.  When his playing time becomes less consistent, his defense suffers.  

The problem with that is, he’s not hitting well enough to be an everyday player.   So if you can’t hit well enough to play every day, but can’t play outstanding defense unless you play every day, then there’s no useful role you can fill.  And don’t tell me that we should keep him around to pinch run occasionally.  That is not a worthwhile use of a roster spot.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have a theory about Mateo from watching him the last three years: he needs to play almost every day to play excellent defense.  When his playing time becomes less consistent, his defense suffers.  

The problem with that is, he’s not hitting well enough to be an everyday player.   So if you can’t hit well enough to play every day, but can’t play outstanding defense unless you play every day, then there’s no useful role you can fill.  And don’t tell me that we should keep him around to pinch run occasionally.  That is not a worthwhile use of a roster spot.  

Agreed.  Ortiz needs to be here... but then again, he's been needed here.

The overrating of Mateo by so many on this board over the past year has been truly entertaining to watch.

There is a reason players who have always failed don’t usually all of a sudden become very good.

We have seen that this year with a number of guys. It’s just not realistic to expect it.

It does happen on rare occasions but generally speaking, you are what you are.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The overrating of Mateo by so many on this board over the past year has been truly entertaining to watch.

There is a reason players who have always failed don’t usually all of a sudden become very good.

We have seen that this year with a number of guys. It’s just not realistic to expect it.

It does RARELY happen as you mentioned like in the case of O'Hearn this season. But we can all see it, I don't know why the O's can't/refuse to, Mateo has no business being on the team.

Other than running fast, what does he do well? Even on his relay throw to McCann the other night that cut down Harper at the plate, the throw was bad/inaccurate. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

O'Hearn says hello.

But I don't think anyone here really overrated Mateo.  I think a lot of people (myself included) really liked him for what he was; great/elite defense (Fielding Bible Award) and elite speed.  And when he went on one of his tears like he did last season and earlier this year, we all wondered who he truly was, which was fair.  That whole "toe tap" video on MLB Network didn't do anything to dissuade people in thinking he'd turned some type of a corner.

You were right (shocking, I know) to point out that if his defense slipped at all he'd lose value...and the defense has slipped.  I didn't think it would slip this bad due to the fact that he just turned 28.  However, I would argue that I don't think his range has diminished all that much, if at all...the errors he's made recently have seemed to have been more in line with basic fundamentals and focus.  

So I don't think anyone here really overrated him, there have been cries for Westburg/Ortiz ever since the offseason.  I was fine with letting Mateo start the season as the full time SS with the caveat that if he tanked that he should be replaced.  He's been awful for awhile now and the change needs to be made.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

O'Hearn says hello.

But I don't think anyone here really overrated Mateo.  I think a lot of people (myself included) really liked him for what he was; great/elite defense (Fielding Bible Award) and elite speed.  And when he went on one of his tears like he did last season and earlier this year, we all wondered who he truly was, which was fair.  That whole "toe tap" video on MLB Network didn't do anything to dissuade people in thinking he'd turned some type of a corner.

You were right (shocking, I know) to point out that if his defense slipped at all he'd lose value...and the defense has slipped.  I didn't think it would slip this bad due to the fact that he just turned 28.  However, I would argue that I don't think his range has diminished all that much, if at all...the errors he's made recently have seemed to have been more in line with basic fundamentals and focus.  

So I don't think anyone here really overrated him, there have been cries for Westburg/Ortiz ever since the offseason.  I was fine with letting Mateo start the season as the full time SS with the caveat that if he tanked that he should be replaced.  He's been awful for awhile now and the change needs to be made.

You must not have been reading this board.

Hell, most people on this site thought he was going to post an 800+ OPS after the way he started the year.

• Upvote 1