2023 Trade Deadline Hot Stove

RVAOsFan

4 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm sorry for not knowing this, but what's up with Soto?

https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/injuries/san-diego-padres-star-juan-soto-set-to-undergo-mri-on-ailing-finger-injury

Padres manager Bob Melvin previously said that Soto's finger had been bothering the young slugger since spring training, and Soto will use the Padres' off day Thursday to see if there's anything to be concerned about. Soto's finger hasn't affected his performance much, as he holds a .902 OPS with six homers and 19 RBI since the beginning of July.

My guess is he strained it flipping folks off.

I've had the same issue.  Had to switch to my left hand for a couple of weeks while my dominant flipping finger healed up.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

The fate of this team was decided long ago. If you want to argue that they should have traded Ohtani (to restock their farm system) that's fine, but what they gave up isn't going to move the needle (long term) on their success. They also have a better catching prospect, so one of the players was even blocked. Again, I'm not defending the Angels long term because most of their decisions (FA signings, etc.) have been head scratchers, but I really think you're making too much of a big deal out of these particular prospects. 

My point was more that it is their operating philosophy that is terrible .. short term and long term they have little clue.  I am not championing these prospects as any savior or even as much good, my point is this is indicative of their “win now” mindset except they never win 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You keep the two prospects that they traded and add a reasonable return for Ohtani and what does that leave them?

Mediocrity.

A downturn is seemingly inevitable at this point so I can see the line of thinking that leads the owner to commit to one last push.

This die was cast years ago.

Philosophy change has to start somewhere.. maybe a stud prospect for Ohtani becomes the next star .. and rather than a 5 year total rebuild they have a 3 year rebuild.  
Their philosophy was my point, this is just more examples of it 

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If that is the case shouldn't this thread be in the MLB forum?

I knew you were expecting it Moose.

I started one in the MLB forum last week for that purpose.  Now they seem to be both getting some traffic.

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I started one in the MLB forum last week for that purpose.  Now they seem to be both getting some traffic.

Sorry, didn't mean to step on toes, I just never visit the MLB section.  I do regret starting this thread, too many now.

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Sorry, didn't mean to step on toes, I just never visit the MLB section.  I do regret starting this thread, too many now.

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

One of you should just petition a mod to combine the two.

Just a mention, not that Stroman's been pitching at all well in the last month anyway, but if the Cubs take 3 of 4 or maybe even 2-2 against the Cardinals, I'd be very surprised if they sold. After 5 straight wins they've got themselves a more reasonable 6 back in the division and 4.5 back in the wildcard with one of the easiest 2nd half schedules in baseball to go.

Just now, Tryptamine said:

Just a mention, not that Stroman's been pitching at all well in the last month anyway, but if the Cubs take 3 of 4 or maybe even 2-2 against the Cardinals, I'd be very surprised if they sold. After 5 straight wins they've got themselves a more reasonable 6 back in the division and 4.5 back in the wildcard with one of the easiest 2nd half schedules in baseball to go.

Man, I wouldn't touch Stroman with a 10-foot pole. 21 ER in his last 5 games. He's 32. I don't trust him at all. Much, much rather have E-Rod. 

• Upvote 1

It seems like all the commonly mentioned starters in all the trade threads a huge buyer beware buys. 

It might take something different, creative, or thinking out of the box to try and pry away a different (star) player who has a contentious contract situation from that team, and put all your shopping assetts in trying to make that happen.

....Or just focus on  the less expensive middle reliever market.