Watching the Ceremony …

banks703

… and seeing the cameras pan to John Angelos (who is in the dugout), I hope that he’s drinking in this moment and is reminded of how absolutely in love the city of Baltimore is with the Orioles. Not even the Ravens or Skins or Terps can compete with this infatuation. 

Running the organization ‘like a business’ obviously can be extremely profitable but man, seeing (grown) grown men in the stands crying in remembrance of this ‘83 team is something to behold.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, banks703 said:

… and seeing the cameras pan to John Angelos (who is in the dugout), I hope that he’s drinking in this moment and is reminded of how absolutely in love the city of Baltimore is with the Orioles. Not even the Ravens or Skins or Terps can compete with this infatuation. 

Running the organization ‘like a business’ obviously can be extremely profitable but man, seeing (grown) grown men in the stands crying in remembrance of this ‘83 team is something to behold.

I got one good camera shot of him and he didn't look like he was in a good mood. It looked like he had a lot on his mind. Of course, that was just one moment in 2 seconds and I have no way of knowing what he was thinking about in that moment in time or what his mood really was. But the paranoid in me jumped to thinking that he was saying to himself, "*bleep* How am going to tell all these people that Nashville wants this team?"

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I got one good camera shot of him and he didn't look like he was in a good mood. It looked like he had a lot on his mind. Of course, that was just one moment in 2 seconds and I have no way of knowing what he was thinking about in that moment in time or what his mood really was. But the paranoid in me jumped to thinking that he was saying to himself, "*bleep* How am going to tell all these people that Nashville wants this team?"

LOL the team ain’t going anywhere. 

He (and I guess his wife) were behind the guys broadcasting from the roof deck in the outfield. He looked like he was enjoying himself there.

By the way, did anyone catch his wife fawning over Brach? She interrupted the broadcast to get a selfie with him. This could open an entirely new level of clowning John Angelos. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

Where was Lowenstein? 

I was trying to think of who wasn't there.   Lowenstein was one.   Dauer another.  Dennis Martinez.   Tim Stoddard.

Obviously the three that are deceased (Mike Flanagan, Todd Cruz, and Sammy Stewart).

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I was trying to think of who wasn't there.   Lowenstein was one.   Dauer another.  Dennis Martinez.   Tim Stoddard.

Obviously the three that are deceased (Mike Flanagan, Todd Cruz, and Sammy Stewart).

Dwyer. Nolan. I think I saw them at previous ones.  Unfortunately Dauer is in very poor health. His family set up a go fund me page. He suffered multiple falls one that included a stroke.  Has issues talking. 

Mike Young didn’t play much but also passed. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Dwyer. Nolan. I think I saw them at previous ones.  Unfortunately Dauer is in very poor health. His family set up a go fund me page. He suffered multiple falls one that included a stroke.  Has issues talking. 

Mike Young didn’t play much but also passed. 

Thanks for reminding me.   I knew about Dauer's health, in fact I contributed to his Go Fund Me in the spring.   He almost died during the Astros victory parade (he was a coach with the cheating Astro team).   He recovered from that but has had other issues.

And yeah, I had forgotten Mike Young was on that team.   I never associate him with the 83 team.

Jim Dwyer was a real key player on that team, tons of big hits.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Thanks for reminding me.   I knew about Dauer's health, in fact I contributed to his Go Fund Me in the spring.   He almost died during the Astros victory parade (he was a coach with the cheating Astro team).   He recovered from that but has had other issues.

And yeah, I had forgotten Mike Young was on that team.   I never associate him with the 83 team.

Jim Dwyer was a real key player on that team, tons of big hits.

Yeah. When I think of Young I think of 85. I was a kid in 83 but recall that team well. For some reason I just dont recall Aurelio Rodriguez.  He passed away. 

Ayala is another player. 

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yeah. When I think of Young I think of 85. I was a kid in 83 but recall that team well. For some reason I just dont recall Aurelio Rodriguez.  He passed away. 

Rodriguez also played for the 83 White Sox after the Orioles released him.   During the playoffs, weren't some players concerned that he knew the Orioles signs?

I have heard that Lowenstein has become estranged from the team and doesn’t keep in touch with his old teammates.  I’m not sure why, and don’t think anyone else knows either.  Maybe he holds a grudge about being dropped as a TV announcer?   That could explain skipping team events, but lack of communication with former teammates seems like an odd choice.  I heard this on a radio interview with one of his former teammates (Ken Singleton?) several years ago and I guess it’s still true.