Jorge in Center

banks703

Has anyone brought up Daz Cameron (26 yo) as an option for CF?  From what I've read, he's a very good defender in CF with excellent speed.  Offensively he's probably not much better than Mateo, but would not be a liability in center either.   With all of that said, I suspect that with Mullins due back very soon, they'll stick with what we have (subpar defense in CF) until his return.

Mateo's defensive miscues late in ballgames has been so bad... and while it's not his fault he was thrust into CF, he is not just hurting this team wherever he plays, he's costing us games.  Yet, still, he remains.   Forgive the expression, but it reminds me of author's that must, "kill your darlings."   That's when they have to edit out favorite characters or situations from their novels because, in the end, it was best for the story to exclude them.  As a writer, I've done that myself... still annoys me. LOL

Edited by Greg Pappas

7 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Why wasn’t Mateo defensively replaced by an actual outfielder late in that game?

Because he made a completely overrated “great” catch earlier in the game and “looks so natural” out there.

Edited by Sports Guy

38 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Mateo's defensive miscues late in ballgames has been so bad... and while it's not his fault he was thrust into CF, he is not just hurting this team wherever he plays, he's costing us games.  Yet, still, he remains.   Forgive the expression, but it reminds me of author's that must, "kill your darlings."   That's when they have to edit out favorite characters or situations from their novels because, in the end, it was best for the story to exclude them.  As a writer, I've done that myself... still annoys me. LOL

The Os have fallen in love with the same shiny things the fans have..the talent, speed and athleticism. It all looks great…but then you have to play the game.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Why wasn’t Mateo defensively replaced by an actual outfielder late in that game?

They used McKenna to replace Santander which is a bigger upgrade. Unfortunately Jordan decided to hit it to RF. These things happen. It is way too early to declare Mateo a failure in CF. They are auditioning him for a backup role, nothing more. 

As for whether McKenna catches that ball, who knows. He dropped the pop up vs Boston and the message board was ready to get rid of him. I think McKenna makes it most of the time but I think Mateo probably does too. 

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They used McKenna to replace Santander which is a bigger upgrade. Unfortunately Jordan decided to hit it to RF. These things happen. It is way too early to declare Mateo a failure in CF. They are auditioning him for a backup role, nothing more. 

As for whether McKenna catches that ball, who knows. He dropped the pop up vs Boston and the message board was ready to get rid of him. I think McKenna makes it most of the time but I think Mateo probably does too. 

He’s a failure in CF regardless of what he does with his glove. If he can’t hit enough to play SS, why would he be able to hit enough in CF. Why do we need to keep dragging this out? What’s next, it’s too early to declare him a failure at Catcher? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He’s a failure in CF regardless of what he does with his glove. If he can’t hit enough to play SS, why would he be able to hit enough in CF. Why do we need to keep dragging this out? What’s next, it’s too early to declare him a failure at Catcher? 

They are dragging it out because they want his speed in the playoffs.

That is their singular focus right now.

And he actually does have an OPS approaching 800 vs lefties this year.

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Because 5th OF isn't a big deal in a 162 game season and he might steal a base for us in the playoffs. He needs to last 22 days until rosters expand and Mullins is coming back soon.