Orioles biggest problem

wildcard

23 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

That story wasn't on Google.  I'd kill to know the terms.  This is like Henry II's family problems.  

It was settled in February.  No terms were disclosed.  However, John is still CEO and Louis is not listed as having any title with the “senior leadership team.”  So, I don’t think anything really changed with respect to operational control of the team.  

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

So, this is definitely an issue but good organizations can withstand major losses if they are structured properly and promote from within.

The issue with that isn’t Elias leaving…it’s Angelos staying. 

The biggest issue for this organization is and always be ownership until that family sells.

As I was saying….

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was settled in February.  No terms were disclosed.  However, John is still CEO and Louis is not listed as having any title with the “senior leadership team.”  So, I don’t think anything really changed with respect to operational control of the team.  

Sounds like Louie was bought out.  Elias is John's boy.  So far this partnership looks great.  They're putting fannies in the seats again.  We can go back to arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  

As long as Elias is in charge of a team that is competitive - and the O's look to be that way for several years to come - then he would be foolish to leave before he has some post-season experience.  Especially given how young he is.  Long-term success going to require more budget than he's had so far, so put up or shut time for ownership is fast approaching.  Monetary commitment to the team is what I look for when thinking about Elias' future in Baltimore.

5 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I feel like some of the reactions to this thread are unfair.  I don't think anyone can accuse Wildcard of not being a happy fan.  He tends to be one of our most optimistic posters.  I'm sure he's thrilled that the Orioles are the best team in the AL.  

And I also appreciate how much Elias and Mejdal have done for the organization, which means that other teams will want to hire them, which would be a negative for the organization's long-term outlook.  

Thanks

I am pretty sure if Steve Cohen hired Mike Elias it would not be to tank.   It would be because of his player evaluation skills and ability to build a winning organization.  If Elias had a 300m payroll per year he would do things a lot differently is my guess.  Friedman is not managing the Dodgers like he managed the Devil Rays.

And my thoughts are not about the Angelos family not funding the O's adequately.   Elias knows how to deal with that.  Heck he just added Fuji and Flaherty for about 3M at the deadline.   That is not the big problem.   

The problem is that Cohen would offer Elias personally a ton of money to run his club.   Again we do not know Elias' contract situation with the O's.  How long he is tied to the club and for how much.  But the big money will probably be offered by someone at some point.   I hope the Angelos understand what they have in Elias and treat him better than well.

As far as Elias leaving before he wins the World Series.  I think he is being recognized now that he can build a contending team.  Its more about what his contract situation is IMO.  That is what will keep him with the O's.

Edited by wildcard

10 hours ago, Fan4Life said:

Would you root for the Nashville Orioles, just curious. 

I would potential quit baseball completely.  Then I would root for any team that played the Orioles(doubt they keep the name).  

Maybe I would just follow the team with the most interesting storyline year by year.  But I would never forgive and never forget.  

And pray for the destruction of the Angelos family till the day I die.  

10 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If the Orioles' biggest problem is a creeping concern that Mike Elias might leave for another team at some undetermined point in the future when his contract, of which we don't know any of the details, expires... well, I think the organization is in pretty good shape.

This is similar to the folks who see that the Orioles haven't signed a long-term lease yet, so they've begun to develop a detailed life plan for when the team is playing in Nashville and OPACY is a silent, deserted, windswept ruin.

It wouldn’t be windswept. I think they would let the Ravens practice there. 

9 hours ago, owknows said:

He strikes me as tight with the money. Maybe a little disingenuous at times. But not particularly inept. His on field baseball contractual decisions require context to judge. And I don't think any one of us know enough about his or the team's finances to really offer an informed opinion. We can speculate. And many do.

I guess I'm a little less inclined to judge harshly, as I am of the opinion that the game has developed an unhealthy salary spiral that is pricing it out of reach for many. And I find the ability to field a winning team with a shoestring budget refreshing and somewhat admirable.

How inept can a team be run, if they're first in record and last in salary?

It took three hours for this post to age terribly 😂