Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

Just now, Fan4Life said:

Watching the Whitesox vs the Yankees on MLB.tv... the Whitesox announcing crew made comments about the Orioles winning the season series against the Yankees but that the Yankees have typically owned the Orioles and the announcer said, (paraphrasing I  hope I can say that without losing my job... 

I think this is just the beginning.  Wait till the print media start calling people in the warehouse and digging for dirt.  Its like blood in the water.   Some sharks are going to come around.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chavez Ravine said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Keven Brown is getting offers tonight. The A’s are looking for someone. Heck, outside of Dave Flemming the Giants broadcast team is getting mature, and there have been retirement rumors.

You know how the Orioles are about making folks honor their contracts.

16 minutes ago, dzorange said:

KB learned a bit under Benetti: 

was very lucky that I happened to be in Syracuse when there was an open position," Brown said. "I was hired by Jason Benetti as a 21-year old who didn’t know what he was doing."”

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/central-ny/sports/2020/06/01/broadcasting-in-the-bigs--su-s-own-kevin-brown

That makes sense why KB reminds me of him. Good intel. Thanks. 

12 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

In a weird way this could end up being a positive on a few fronts.  1) when the Os were bad this would have been a non-story.  Franchise is a joke. Move on.  No one would be interested.  Ultimately this reinforces that the Baltimore Orioles are highly relevant, everyone in baseball is now paying attention. 2)  With higher standing comes greater standards - Os are expected to be good to great at everything now - media will no longer give them a pass.  3) Angelos now getting on MLB radar - he has been off MLB radar for awhile /a non-factor with no owner group relationships- other than the MASN thing but that was mostly a legal argument and although painful and aggravating, legitimate legally to contest up until resolution.   Angelos and questions about lease and ownership suitability will now begin to bubble up as 4) MLB and leagues does not take capricious owner behavior lightly - JA will now be on notice - embarrassing to MLB. Completely different if KB make a derisive comment,  commited an HR infraction etc.  He did not.  JA can do what he wants but not really and yes KB could probably claim JA has damaged his rep, maybe this is contructive dismissal etc - I mean JA is an idiot for doing this.    5) All of  this may accelerate a change, CEO coming in etc - JA may be asked to take a back seat if this type of behavior continues.  Sometimes it takes awhile but eventually bad leadership gets called out and replaced even if that means a team owner. 

Maybe.  But, unlikely, I would say.  Peter got national headlines because his team was doing well in the mid 90s.  Plus the stadium was still new.

What I'm hoping for is that the lease situation becomes a bigger story, so the Angeloses can't try to quietly sneak the Orioles out of town somehow.

3 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

It could get quite amusing as  Kevin Brown says increasingly sardonic things about the past trying to get fired.

I would say he could drag the Commissioner's Trophy around the parking lot but we don't have one that's less than 40 years old.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Well they didn't "suspend" him, they just, y'know... didn't schedule him... Like Ben said, scheduling issue.  Right?

Britt made a point early on to indicate that the word “suspended” wasn’t used. I hope they don’t try to use this as a defense!

TLDR:

My 1st thought upon reading this, was thinking that KB can be very snarky during games, and could possibly have been on double secret probation.

The O's announcers have been part of the losing with the team for many years and always acted accordingly. I truly loved it when a hard fought game went our way and the announcers had fun with it.  I certainly don't mind our announcers getting slightly jacked up.. but sometimes you have to reel them in a little, as they can keep stretching their calls into the 'homerism zone'.

I'll give you a couple of items that hit me this year. One where I went "hahaha.. hope no one takes offense to that": Adam Frazier hit a line drive HR to right against the Angels. Ohtani had already hit a monster bomb in the game.. so KB was a tad over-exuberant in the call, harping something like "Shohei who??!" It didn't bother me, but I do know it might've tweaked non-O's fans.

And this one, which is one of my favorite feel-good moments between our announcers. Recently, during the post game show  beyond centerfield (Ben had just returned from the college WS, where his beloved Tigers won the championship), KB poured a shot (bourbon?) for himself, JP and BM. They all clanked and drank.  The next 3-5 minutes was classic lighthearted baseball chat with booze comments that was fun to watch. I'll remember it for quite a while. I saved it and showed it to my wife the following night, and she too thought it was cool as shit.

I saw nothing wrong with either of them, but all it takes is 1 phone call from a "concerned citizen" to wreak havoc on the fun.

And I agree with others that feel KB could find work immediately...

• Upvote 1