Astros series

Just Regular

4 minutes ago, gallden said:

Hindsight being what it is.. throwing the splitter to Tucker for two straight balls wouldn't have been the end of the world.  Hitters hit they see this velo everyday. 

He threw a hanging split to Tucker towards the end of the at bat that Felix was lucky was just hit foul instead of being launched. He did NOT have command of his split yesterday so Tucker knew he'd get a fastball. It is what it is. Win tonight. 

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

He threw a hanging split to Tucker towards the end of the at bat that Felix was lucky was just hit foul instead of being launched. He did NOT have command of his split yesterday so Tucker knew he'd get a fastball. It is what it is. Win tonight. 

He also didn’t especially have good fastball command. McCann dropping the strike three foul tip was tough. 

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

Correct. Spike it two times and move on to the next batter.  It's also 10+ mph slower than fastball 

1 minute ago, gallden said:

Correct. Spike it two times and move on to the next batter.  It's also 10+ mph slower than fastball 

Trying to spike the splitter and spiking it means you have good command over it. It seemed to me like Felix didn't want to use his split much because he didn't know where it was going. 

I don't know why Rutchman wasn't catching yesterday anyway but that's another discussion.

19 minutes ago, gallden said:

Bases were loaded.  Spiking it 2 times and walking Tucker puts the tying run in scoring position.  

Maybe would have worked out better (couldn't have worked worst) but I don't know that that's a strategy you want to employ.

18 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Trying to spike the splitter and spiking it means you have good command over it. It seemed to me like Felix didn't want to use his split much because he didn't know where it was going. 

I don't know why Rutchman wasn't catching yesterday anyway but that's another discussion.

Adley OPS as catcher - .783

As DH - .859

McCann also has something like an OPS over .900 after the ASB.  Against a LHP, Adley at DH and McCann at C is probably our best lineup right now.  Worked offensively last night for sure.

What irked me most about this game was Cano's pitch selection. Seemed like a developmental game for him. I get working on the slider but 12 of 18 in a meaningful game was over the top, and he got burned on it (6 of 6 pitches to Pena were sliders). Combined with playing Mateo in center, it seems like Hyde is more focused on preparing his guys for the stretch run than trying to win each game, but isn't that a bit premature? 

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

As good as he has been, more bad luck for Felix.  He's given up 4 HRs on the year, all 4 have led to blown saves.

The first one of those (in Boston) wouldn't have happened if McKenna had caught the pop up.

4 hours ago, SilentJames said:

Even if you know it’s coming 102 is still hard to hit, but any MLB hitter can guess right and run into one. 

it happens. 

Tucker knew the fastball was coming.  I worry about this for the postseason because playoff teams have hitters like Tucker that can make you pay for a down the middle fastball.  

As for the foul tip, how fast was that coming off the bat when it hit McCann's glove?  That play definitely isn't a sure thing, even though we are accustomed to seeing it made.  

2 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I think in hindsight if Felix had walked Tucker (not intentionally) we likely win the game. The hitters after Tucker are probably not beating Felix, even if it means a 2 run lead instead of 3.

There was no need to give in there and just lay in a fastball.  Even if he walks him we still are up by 2 with 1 out.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Tucker knew the fastball was coming.  I worry about this for the postseason because playoff teams have hitters like Tucker that can make you pay for a down the middle fastball.  

As for the foul tip, how fast was that coming off the bat when it hit McCann's glove?  That play definitely isn't a sure thing, even though we are accustomed to seeing it made.  

When you walk the guy this is what happens.. if he hits same home run to tie it then we play on .. no playoff team has any better closer so their closer in playoff is more likely to fail than Felix