Santander's back injury appears chronic

Baltimorecuse

1 hour ago, Dunk35 said:

I figured as much but he has been a MOO bat for about 4 years for the Os. Will need someone to replace his 25-30 HRs yearly. 

In 2025 I could easily see Kjerstad putting up similar (if not better than) to your typical Santander numbers.

A few things here from my perspective. I think the fact that Santander has not been immediately put on the IL for his "chronic" back pain is for that very reason, it's been chronic all season yet he's been productive. Perhaps a few days off will calm things down.

If he does go on the IL, I suspect Cowser will be the one who is recalled since he's been hitting well in AAA since his demotion. Both Stowers ( .171/.277/.268/.545) and Kjerstad (.178/.225/.311/.536) have struggled over the last two weeks. Also, the Orioles 40-man is starting to get a bit crowded with guys you don't want to lose so Kjerstad may need to get red hot or have major injury to occur to see the majors this year.    

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

A few things here from my perspective. I think the fact that Santander has not been immediately put on the IL for his "chronic" back pain is for that very reason, it's been chronic all season yet he's been productive. Perhaps a few days off will calm things down.

If he does go on the IL, I suspect Cowser will be the one who is recalled since he's been hitting well in AAA since his demotion. Both Stowers ( .171/.277/.268/.545) and Kjerstad (.178/.225/.311/.536) have struggled over the last two weeks. Also, the Orioles 40-man is starting to get a bit crowded with guys you don't want to lose so Kjerstad may need to get red hot or have major injury to occur to see the majors this year.    

If Elias does things the traditional way I think you are right.  I would do it a little differently but I don't know if Elias will.

I would put Santander on the IL for 10 days back dated to the 19th.  Try to get him healthy as possible for the playoff push. I would play O' Hearn in right.  He has started to hit again after a mild cooling off.  He is hitting .364 in his last 4 games.  I would let Mountcastle take over 1B for now.  He has been hot.    

McCann has been very hot so I would let him and Adley take out C and DH.

I would call up Ortiz to play vs lefties.   Ortiz is hitting for a 942 vs lefties at AAA.   Urias and Frazier don't hit lefties well.  I would let Ortiz and Westburg play 2B/3B vs lefties.

Again, stop treating these guys like everyday players. Running them into the ground causes nagging injuries.

When people would ask, we are winning, why bring players up? This is another reason. Getting the young guys acclimated early on allows them to be in position to play a lot now and by doing that, it allows more guys to rest more often.

Depth is a great thing…when you use it. 

• Upvote 1