Lucas Giolito on waivers?

Hallas

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/qa-what-the-heck-did-the-angels-and-some-other-teams-just-do/

Q: So what’s the incentive for a team to just let players go without getting another player in return?

There’s only a couple reasons to do this, and I won’t opine on their validity: one is money, and the other is giving other players a chance. The former is especially pertinent for the Angels, who we have exceeding the $233 million luxury tax by what basically amounts to a rounding error of a little under $1.5 million. There will surely be enough of these players claimed to take them under that mark — the group as a whole is due about $6.44 million for the rest of the year, but Giolito alone would do it. Being under the luxury tax threshold eliminates all associated penalties, meaning the 2024 compensation pick they’ll receive if Shohei Ohtani signs elsewhere would come after the second round of the draft, rather than coming after the fourth round as it would if they were a luxury tax payor.https://blogs.fangraphs.com/qa-what-the-heck-did-the-angels-and-some-other-teams-just-do/

This also will stress test Shohei's love of the game of baseball for the final 4.5 weeks when play resumes this weekend after the near total American League day off 8/31.

The Fangraphs quick write up refreshed my memory waivers MLB wide.    With the NL wildcard bar lower, Miami-Cincinnati the last couple teams still on the edge of the race.

The Padres wouldn't, right??

42 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Before that, they dropped 7 in a row right after the deadline.

And they were like 4 games back of the last WC spot (at the deadline), having played just a game above 500 in July. I don't necessarily disagree with them not trading Ohtani but I never understood trading prospects.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/free-lucas-giolito-and-reynaldo-lopez-and-matt-moore-and/

One team in baseball is both locked in a tight playoff race and desperately in need of some undeserved pitching help: the Baltimore Orioles.

Are the trio of Angels likely to make it to Baltimore in the waiver claim system? I think not. As I mentioned, there are a lot of playoff hopefuls, and most of them could use pitching. But if we’re talking about potentially season-altering waiver claims, I can’t imagine a more monumental one from among our options here. More specifically, per ZiPS, it would move the Orioles from a 72.7% chance of winning the AL East to an 84.5% chance, which would move their odds of winning the World Series from 7.5% to 10.9%:

That’s nothing to sneeze at. It is, for example, a lot more than the Orioles added at the actual trade deadline. Even getting one of those three players would be a coup for them. But more likely, this will work with Mario Kart rules; the worse-off teams will exercise their waiver rights and claim some of the pitchers, so either the very worst team in the hunt will end up with all of them, or they’ll end up spread out across multiple squads.

Edited by Hallas

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

To be fair, they did not know Trout would go back on the IL, or that Ohtani would be unable to pitch

With Trout it could of been guessed.  Ohtani not so much to be fair.  They are snake bit.  They need to stop paying out these mega long contracts and try to draft and develop players better.  

4 hours ago, cnmilton said:

If Matt Moore makes it to the Os, they should be all over him... lefty reliever who has pitched in the playoffs.

His stats are very good but my question would be who would he replace? All three lefties in the pen deserve to be here imo, would it be crazy to have a 4th?

16 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

With Trout it could of been guessed.  Ohtani not so much to be fair.  They are snake bit.  They need to stop paying out these mega long contracts and try to draft and develop players better.  

I don't think anyone's going to fault them for extending Trout.  And they outbid everyone for Ohtani, who turned out amazingly for them too.  Trout is a homegrown talent as well.

Their problem was that they were paying the mummified corpse of Pujols a ton of money to do a lot of nothing for like 10 years during Trout's healthy MVP years.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

What does this clown mean by the phrase "Undeserved pitching"?

Ehh I don't think he was trying to make a diss at the O's, but rather a general comment on the system, and how acquiring this pitching didn't require any player development, GM maneuvering, or any of the usual things associated with good GM work, but was rather a product of another team being desperate to shed payroll.

• Upvote 3