I'm kind of glad this is happening now.

vab

8 hours ago, banks703 said:

Losing sole possession of the division lead (at home on a night when one of your most celebrated players of the last 30 years is retiring) is not a good thing no matter how it’s spun.

The Rays are eating the O’s lunch. 

Good thing it happened on AppleTV+

they won two games?  Wooooooo that lunch

Now we know a bit how Milwaukee fans felt in 1982.   Three games ahead, they lose the first three.  And the HOF pitcher is going against them that Sunday.  On the road in a raucous Memorial Stadium. And it is the last game of the year.  And there are no wild cards. 
Nah, this ain’t nothing pressure wise. 

Or maybe the pressure of a World Series 7th game against that guy who is being honored again across baseball , Roberto Clemente.  The home team won every game that Series except 1. 

Or being up 3-1 against that same town 8 years later in the Series and losing 3 in a row? 

Or there was no way we could lose 4 World Series games in a row to that bunch of Ron Swoboda Al Weis scrubs in 1969. 

Or how those Dodger fans felt losing 4 in a row including 2 games 1-0 to the Baltimore whos? 

Yes.. baseball.. it is a crying game! But you gotta love it!!! 

Edited by tntoriole
  • Upvote 1

The timing is terrible.  Need to be able to hold a tiebreaker over the Rays, going into a tailspin against the team we're fighting it out for the division is awful.  Winning the division isn't just an accomplishment for fans to brag about, it's important because these guys get some significant rest before their first playoff series.  

No one should be glad about this.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PeteCanes said:

Good thing it happened on AppleTV+

they won two games?  Wooooooo that lunch

Losing these games bothers me, but I realize that in this sport, good teams, even great teams, lose lots of games. I'm much more concerned about the complete ineptness of every hitter on the team. Everyone, at the same time, seems to be chasing pitches outside the zone, trying to pull everything, and overswinging. It doesn't seem to matter who the opposing pitcher is as long as he can get the ball near the plate.

Smaller point, but it sure looks like our starters are wearing down, and it doesn't help that at least one pitching spot on the roster is taken by Flaherty, who has no useful role on a team playing pressure games against good-hitting teams.

10 hours ago, banks703 said:

Losing sole possession of the division lead (at home on a night when one of your most celebrated players of the last 30 years is retiring) is not a good thing no matter how it’s spun.

The Rays are eating the O’s lunch. 

The Rays are a better team than we are. Always have been. Just haven't always played like it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

Considering that this is really the biggest stage that the O's has been on in quite a few years, I would say that the timing sucks. There's been doubters as fans and media all season, and right now the doubters look like they were correct. Come out tonight and beat them and it totally changes the narrative.

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m starting to believe this. Their starting pitching is elite. 

And people on here were declaring the Jays the biggest thread after we took 3/4 in Tampa and passed them for the division lead. The Jays were like 7 GB at the time. People just have no long term perspective on here. 

Prior to this week the O’s had really only had one other semi-slump (losing 6 of 7 in late June/early July).  The timing stinks but in the larger context another slump is not surprising.  My concern is that this thing could snowball quickly given that Houston is next.

BTW, the Rays are really good.  

10 minutes ago, btownoriole said:

Prior to this week the O’s had really only had one other semi-slump (losing 6 of 7 in late June/early July).  The timing stinks but in the larger context another slump is not surprising.  My concern is that this thing could snowball quickly given that Houston is next.

BTW, the Rays are really good.  

They would not look so good if we were as hot as we have been 

I'm not glad it's happening at all.   I'm NEVER happy for the Os to lose,  especially with so much on the line right now.   I think it's amazing how the entire lineup has Mateod itself.... gone from being ultra hot, hitting everything and putting up 7+ a game to ice cold,  where they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.   I just hope their collective cold streak doesn't last as long as Mateos has!