John Means - Playoff Starter

wildcard

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Your bar for very good is extremely low.

Means should make the playoff roster. No way, as of today, he should be guaranteed a start.

I agree!! He will get two more starts probably.. if he is doing well , 6-7 inning quality starts, then yeah, but that is the case for Gibby too.  Being a lefty starter is Means primary leg up right now

He might be. But he is still working his way back and I think we would prefer a pitcher who can go 6+. 

Certainly possible he gets there and I think he is almost a lock for the post season roster. But we have a few weeks to make that call and the information during that time is going to impact how the roster shakes out. 

Good result last night but I had a very different eye test interpretation. I thought he looked about as bad as he could look and still end up with a decent result. He had poor command, mostly pitched from behind, and got hit hard (for hits and outs) while also giving up 3 BB in 5 innings. He was fine and I'd stick with him over Flaherty and Gibson for now but I don't think it's locked up and he's definitely not ahead of Kremer. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Good result last night but I had a very different eye test interpretation. I thought he looked about as bad as he could look and still end up with a decent result. He had poor command, mostly pitched from behind, and got hit hard (for hits and outs) while also giving up 3 BB in 5 innings. He was fine and I'd stick with him over Flaherty and Gibson for now but I don't think it's locked up and he's definitely not ahead of Kremer. 

He was unlucky against STL so it evens out. 

The k-bb results weren't there, but going more granular, Yesterday Stuff+ rated him 10th of the 22 SP, beating Joe Ryan, Freddy Peralta and Verlander notably.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&lg=all&qual=y&season=2023&season1=2023&ind=0&type=36&month=32&sortcol=12&sortdir=default&team=0&stats=sta

I'm cautiously optimistic going towards the concluding Cleveland and Boston turns.

I also predict if he's some good version of himself 3-4 more games this fall, Hyde will give him the ball Opening Day like Sutcliffe over Ben and Mike once upon a time.

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I missed that one and I don't mean to sound down on Means. I just didn't think he "looked very good". He did battle a very tough lineup and was able to limit them to a decent result. 

Nah I agree with you. He pitched poorly yesterday but was lucky with the result.