Is Kramer pitching his way out of the playoff rotation?

Three Run Homer

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Out of the playoff rotation? When the alternatives are Gibson, Flaherty, and Irvin? Nope

However, I’d be looking to get at least two SP upgrades over the offseason so Kremer could be the 6th or 7th option, depending if Wells is considered a SP going forward. 

They are not going to upgrade with 2 more starters this off season.  Bradish, Means, GRod are a very good 1-3.  Kremer at the 4 with an era below 4 the last two years is a godd number 4 starter now.  If you add 1 more guy and he is your number 5 you have one of best rotations in baseball.  

46 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

They are not going to upgrade with 2 more starters this off season.  Bradish, Means, GRod are a very good 1-3.  Kremer at the 4 with an era below 4 the last two years is a godd number 4 starter now.  If you add 1 more guy and he is your number 5 you have one of best rotations in baseball.  

They’ve got the means to trade for a very good starter AND sign one. Kremer is a good back of the rotation guy but since there’s not too many areas on the team that could realistically be upgraded, why not the rotation? 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s Kremer, you could at least get his name right. These guys are all tired and are at innings career highs.

You've got it all wrong, Kramer is a teammate of Weiters, Hayes, Rutchman, Akins, and Westbrook. They're also all teammates of Scott Garceau's favorite former Oriole Riwoo Wooriz.

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

No. Kremer has been our third best starter. You’d prefer him to be your fourth or fifth but it is what it is.

Maybe he slots behind Means, depending on how Means looks over his next two. 

Means slots up regardless if Means is going to start a playoff game you'd imagine Elias makes sure you use the Lefty in Baltimore where the wall gives him a slight advantage. 

1 hour ago, oriole said:

They’ve got the means to trade for a very good starter AND sign one. Kremer is a good back of the rotation guy but since there’s not too many areas on the team that could realistically be upgraded, why not the rotation? 

Our current rotation was good enough to win 95+ games. Hopefully we get a full year of Grayson at his current level. Means could be a plus #3 and Kremer is solid. Plus we will want to leave openings for McDermott, Povich, maybe Pham and Armbruester. If you are expecting multiple signings and/or an elite level starter I think you are going to be disappointed 

Feels like the FO and nearly every else on the board and in the industry figured this would be a development year for a competitive team. I highly doubt they thought they'd be fighting for the division with a week left in the season.

The covid year pushed everyone back in their development and for getting them stretched out for more innings pitched. 

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Feels like the FO and nearly every else on the board and in the industry figured this would be a development year for a competitive team. I highly doubt they thought they'd be fighting for the division with a week left in the season.

The covid year pushed everyone back in their development and for getting them stretched out for more innings pitched. 

While I obviously didn't see this coming I also didn't see a reason to ramp them up as slowly as they did.  Grayson in particular should have been allowed to pitch deeper into games.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Our current rotation was good enough to win 95+ games. Hopefully we get a full year of Grayson at his current level. Means could be a plus #3 and Kremer is solid. Plus we will want to leave openings for McDermott, Povich, maybe Pham and Armbruester. If you are expecting multiple signings and/or an elite level starter I think you are going to be disappointed 

I didn’t say elite. Just better than Kremer. And it’s not an absolute necessity or anything…like I said, you gotta upgrade where you can and we’ve got two rotation spots that could easily be taken by better pitchers. 

It’s also worth noting that just because they’ve done so well this year with these players does not at all mean that it is repeatable. Yankees and Red Sox will be better and we’ve won a ton of one run games which ultimately could go either way when it’s that close. Don’t get complacent or cocky

What's frustrating about Kremer is not that he's a bad pitcher -- he has pretty good numbers this year. It's that when he's bad he's bad in the most stupid ways possible. Last night he started the 4th inning with a 5-3 lead facing the Cleveland #8 hitter leading off ..... and walked him. As bad as it is walking the #8 batter leading off an inning, the real sin was HOW Kremer walked him: ball four on a 3-1 count was a breaking ball that bounced four feet in front of the plate. That's insane. That's unforgivable. That should be a manager mound visit with Hyde going purple faced rage right in Kremer's face. The bottom line is we scored eight runs in a game he started and lost. The "L" may have been on Cano, but Kremer did more to lose that game than anybody on the team. 

On a night where we desperately needed our starter to eat some innings Kremer shrank from the challenge. Trust him to throw in a playoff game? I wouldn't trust him to throw dice in a back alley craps game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I think they go into ST with GRod, Bradish, Means and Kremer in the rotation.   Wells, Irvin, Hall and McDermott will be stretched out as starters.   Hyde said in the past few days the Wells will be a starter next spring.

The big need will be a replacement for Bautista if he is not healthy. JMO.

I think Kremer will be in the pen for the playoffs.   I think he can be a weapon out of the bullpen for us this year.

Next year I imagine he will pitch in the rotation and continue to improve.  I see this guy pitching in MLB for a long time.  He has the drive and desire to be great.  He improves and adapts as he goes along.  

I think they need to try and add and impact starter in the off-seasons and push competition.  I’d like to see two impact relief arms as well.  

I’m not in the “the sky is falling” camp right now, but the last few weeks have shown the importance of high quality depth.  You can’t have too much talent. 

3 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

Looking more and more like Bradish, Rodriguez and Means if it's a 3 man rotation, pushing Kremer and Gibson to spot start / long relief roles.  

It will be interesting to see how/if Flaherty and Wells are used in the postseason.  

I'll be surprised if it's not that trio with either Kremer or Gibson as the 4th starter if the Orioles need one during the playoffs. It's terrible Means was gone for nearly 1.5 years, but the plus side is his arm should be fresh.