#5 will be Missed

Sammy Seagull

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I'd never heard the anecdote Garceau just told on the pregame show that when Pres. Clinton 8.19.1946 met Brooks 5.18.1937 in the booth one night, he stayed about 10x longer than planned as he was meeting his boyhood hero.

That had to be the Ripken streak game.

The Orioles family is very fortunate to have his statue at the park to say, “this was our guy. We got to watch and cheer for this man.”

I am so sad about the passing of Brooks Robinson.  My Dad’s favorite player, particularly after his 1964 AL MVP season.

He was my hero growing up with the greatest of Oriole teams 1965-1971. As all who have met or known him, as great a player, he was a greater human being!! 

He and Frank came to my school in 1966 and Brooks introduced themselves as “brothers”. A remarkable lesson for us kids at a time of racial tensions.  When my brother had CoVID, Brooks called and wished him well!! (As did Jim Palmer and John Means too)

I too have many Brooks items but I will always remember how kind and warm and generous a man he was.

Rest in peace, number 5!! God bless your family!! 

• Like 2

A sad blow to all, especially those who knew and loved him. I saw him in person a few times, not as a player (sadly), the last time being at his statue unveiling in the OPACY statue park. Getting to seem him and those other O's legends just a few feet away was one of my favorite O's thrills. Thank you so much for everything you gave us, Brooks.