Playoff Roster

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Do we know they are just going with 4 starters? 

Assuming we carry 13 pitchers ….My pen is Perez, Cano, Webb, Wells, Hall, Coulombe, Gibson/Kremer (the one that doesn’t make the rotation, Irvin, and Baumann. The only thing that changes that is Bautista which I think we find out today or tomorrow.

They could do 12 with Kjerstad 

34 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yeah then, so I would go Bradish, Means, Rodriguez and, unless he gets shelled today, they probably give Gibson the fourth start. I would say for this round, not Kremer and Flaherty are not needed if you wanted to have extra relievers

Why Gibson over Kremer?

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Why Gibson over Kremer?

In my view, Kremer is more apt to come out of the bullpen than Gibson, and Gibson is more likely to go deeper in games as he has demonstrated all season long... plus Gibson is a groundbalp pitcher that has the best probability of rolling a double play when he wants/needs it. And Dean has the ability to get up to 97MPH Velo in shorter bursts. 

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

In my view, Kremer is more apt to come out of the bullpen than Gibson, and Gibson is more likely to go deeper in games as he has demonstrated all season long... plus Gibson is a groundbalp pitcher that has the best probability of rolling a double play when he wants/needs it. And Dean has the ability to get up to 97MPH Velo in shorter bursts. 

Then there is also the experience factor.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Maybe so, but if so, it will be matchups and performance not”leadership” that makes the call between Gibson and Kremer. 

The “leader” is also a free agent to be on a one year deal..if his feelings get hurt, too bad. 

I get it, however, Gibson has little postseason experience. During one of the broadcasts, I think it was Brown, who actually said Flaherty has more big game experience in his time with the Cardinals. And last year Gibson was moved to the pen with the Phillies. 

I wasn’t a fan of the Gibson signing, but I have to admit he’s delivered on the innings and looks sharp at times. Is that good enough to solidify a spot in the rotation for the playoffs? Maybe, but either way I agree it should be based solely on performance. 

Comparing contrasting resumes, Flaherty was the beneficiary that day the Cardinals scored 10 first-inning runs in Atlanta in a 2019 NLCS Game 5.    He cruised obviously.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2019_NLDS2.shtml

He lost Game 2 of that series 3-0 - it had been a 1-0 game into the 7th inning.    Young stud Flaherty got the 7th en route to 117 pitches, and Adam Duvall got him for a 2-run homer at the end of his outing.

Bradish today is approximately in the 2019 Jack Flaherty spot of baseball's Arms hierarchy - in his second season 2019, Flaherty even finished 4th in the Cy Young balloting.     I guess age 22-23 Jack Flaherty's use could be a study of if a young pitcher was pushed too hard.     I'd hate four years from now for either of Bradish or Grayson to be anywhere near where Flaherty is now.

Flaherty v. Gibson is a possibly lively long reliever debate if you aren't taking both, and you have Means/Kremer over Gibson for the 3-4 roles.

Kremer’s stuff probably does play better out of the pen than Gibson’s does. So, Gibson could be better suited to start on a short leash and if Irvin is back then you have some long options including Flaherty.

Kremer’s last start was an improvement and he looked like a guy who could be included in the rotation for the playoffs. Even though his stuff would play better out of the pen it’s also just plain better than Gibson’s. 

Fujinami, I feel comfortable with reading about the playoff roster only. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Kremer’s stuff probably does play better out of the pen than Gibson’s does. So, Gibson could be better suited to start on a short leash and if Irvin is back then you have some long options including Flaherty.

Kremer’s last start was an improvement and he looked like a guy who could be included in the rotation for the playoffs. Even though his stuff would play better out of the pen it’s also just plain better than Gibson’s. 

Fujinami, I feel comfortable with reading about the playoff roster only. 

Funny but... can't argue and a shame.

Kremer is going to start over Gibson. He has been the better SP on the season and recently. Who cares who is more suited to be a RP, or pitch deeper into the game as a SP? The better SP at preventing runs is going to get the start and that’s Kremer. They are going to go to the bullpen with a quick hook regardless of who is starting. The RP are going to be fully rested and get a lot of built in days off with the postseason schedule.

Gibson will make the playoff roster as the long man but he’s only going to pitch if one of our SP gets knocked down early and we go down big. It doesn’t matter that Kremer may be more suited to be a RP in short stints. They are going to start the best starters and Gibson isn’t one of the top 4. 

• Upvote 1

There are 22 of 26 roster spots definitely decided - the 13 current hitters (all minus Kjerstad), the 4 starters (Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Kremer), and the 5 top relievers (Cano, Perez, Coulombe, Hall, Webb).

Based on the recent save and the need for more RH relievers, I think Wells is a near lock for the 23rd spot. 

They will also carry at least one starter as a long man as the 24th spot, almost certainly Gibson. 

After that, it gets hard. They will likely want at least one more RH reliever. I’m assuming Bautista won’t be available. I think Flaherty has a slight edge over Fuji for that 25th spot. 

For the 26th spot, they could go with Kjerstad as a LH bench bat (he will be eligible) or McKenna as a defensive replacement / pinch runner. They could also just have another pitcher, which could be the other of Flaherty/Fuji or Baumann, Baker or even Irvin.

My guess is the last 4 spots will be Wells, Gibson, Flaherty, Kjerstad. (So, the current roster minus Lopez and Fuji.)

• Upvote 1