Playoff Roster

Bahama O's Fan

If any combination of Irvin, Flaherty, Fuji, Baumann with the locks of Gibson, Webb, Wells, Hall, Coulombe, Cano, Perez are all in the bullpen im not sure we need 13 pitchers. 

Is 3 long men really needed(Gibson/Irvin/Flaherty) with days off? Hall/Wells can go more than 1. No doubt Kremer would be the one who could turn it up out of the BP opposed to Gibson BUT if Kremer can give you a start of 5 good innings as a 4th starter thats hard to pass on. -- Hyde wants to play matchups like crazy of late so i do think they'll take 13. O's love close games, old extra inning rules could be a factor in need for more length. 

8 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

You could be correct. Should also be considered that Adley has almost .100 higher OPS as a DH than at C.

I don’t think that’s a significant sample to impact decision making. He has also generally DH’d against LHP and, outside of last season, has been stronger against LHP in his professional and college career.  It’s more likely driven by that then by any potential benefits from DHing. 

In fact, IIRC research suggests that there’s a “penalty” to DHing and over sufficient samples players generally hit better when they play in the field. 

The choice is basically McCann vs. Mullins against LHP. McCann may be a better hitter against LHP, but the difference in defense by playing Hicks in CF instead of Mullins is dramatic.

Starting McCann also creates a headache when you inevitably want to pinch hit for him later. You need to then put in Adley and lose the DH, and hope that Adley doesn’t suffer any injury that would require he leave the game. 

Altogether I’d be surprised to see McCann starting in a playoff game, but it’s not out of the question.

Starting Pitchers: Bradish, Means, GRod, Kremer

Bullpen: Cano, Coulombe, Flaherty, Gibson, Hall, Perez, Wells, Webb

Infield: Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Henderson, Urias, Westburg, Mateo, Frazier

Catcher: Rutschman, McCann

Outfield: Mullins, Hays, Hicks, Santander, Kjerstad

On 9/30/2023 at 10:18 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

McCann is very good defensively and seems to call excellent games. We seem to get our most dominant pitching performances when he catches, and the pitchers like him. For that reason, I think we see Janes McCann catch a playoff game. 

3.98 ERA when Adley catches, 3.80 when it’s McCann.  

The Rangers have a collective 835 OPS vs Gibson and the Rays are at 877.

Kremer has a 543 OPs vs the Rays..805 vs the Rangers.

Means has the best stats vs Rangers and worst against the Rays.

None of these are a lot of at bats outside of Gibson vs the Rangers

Kremer should be in the rotation and i probably lean Means over Gibson but it’s close and if you feel you need Means’ lefty arm in the pen, so be it.

I think I’d do this:

SP: Bradish Means Grayson Gibson

RP: Cano Wells Kremer Webb Irvin Hall Coulombe Perez

Catcher: Adley McCann

IF: Mountcastle OHearn Westburg Frazier Urias Henderson Mateo

OF: Mullins Santander Hays Hicks McKenna

Edited by waroriole