Mike Elias Press Conference(Long but Interesting)

Bird Lady

7 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

Don't sigh. I should be sighing. I basically already answered that - in the post that you quoted.

"With what's been built so far, I trust the judgement on trades that weren't made."

So yes, judging by the rebuild and his tenure thus far, I trust Elias' judgement in all things roster related - including trade values. He's responsible for gathering and assembling the resources that would be traded, so who would be better at evaluating their value? 

Of course the other side probably didn't think it was an overpay. They're literally trying to get as much as humanly possible for whoever they're trading. If you're the opposing GM and you're trying to trade a player to a GM desperate to make a playoff push, there's no such thing as an overpay!

Sigh.

5 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

That nothing is currently known yet is weird.  I mean, you can go back to MLBTR years later and see the rumors for Erik Bedard.  Dodgers offered Kershaw and Kemp, Reds offered Votto and our choice of Bailey/Cueto.  

You figure that something would’ve leaked out by now of who they were potentially targeting.  

They ran a leaky ship back in the day.

10 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

That nothing is currently known yet is weird.  I mean, you can go back to MLBTR years later and see the rumors for Erik Bedard.  Dodgers offered Kershaw and Kemp, Reds offered Votto and our choice of Bailey/Cueto.  

You figure that something would’ve leaked out by now of who they were potentially targeting.  

My guess is with all the instant news via social media, teams and GMs are more tight lipped than ever. Elias very much seems like that strategic cloak and dagger type also.

Edited by CP0861

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure a fully healthy Bedard could have turned a 101 loss Mariner team into a WS contender.

Well, he did keep me sane every 5th day while the O’s were losing 93 games back in 2007, until he pulled his oblique.  There’s something to be said for having a reason to watch at least some of the games.  But no, not worth giving up that kind of a haul.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, he did keep me sane every 5th day while the O’s were losing 93 games back in 2007, until he pulled his oblique.  There’s something to be said for having a reason to watch at least some of the games.  But no, not worth giving up that kind of a haul.  

Even that haul, if Bavasi had been right and Bedard was the key to the title, would it have been an overpay?

Twenty-five years later still no champion.

Once again we get to the question, how much is a title worth?

Edited by Can_of_corn

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even that haul, if Bavasi had been right and Bedard was the key to the title, would it have been an overpay?

Twenty-five years later still no champion.

Once again we get to the question, how much is a title worth?

A title is worth a lot.  But I suspect giving away too much long term value for a short term gain rarely leads to a title, and more often leads to hurting the long term prospects of the team.  I wonder how the 2014 Mariners, who won 87 games despite having a team OPS of .557 in CF, might have done with Adam Jones in CF?   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Someone from CBS Sports already released a brief recap of this interview, scathing John Angelos and predicting he is set to pocket all of the profits and that Elias is carrying the water for him.  

This off-season will prove something, one way or another. 

Its already been proven, Angelos will milk every penny he can from this team, Elias will work wonders with a bottom 3 MLB payroll, Angelos will tell everyone how great he is if they are winning and will disappear from sight if they aren’t, by the way John have you signed that 30 year lease yet, didn’t think so once again the apple and the tree syndrome 

1 hour ago, CP0861 said:

Don't sigh. I should be sighing. I basically already answered that - in the post that you quoted.

"With what's been built so far, I trust the judgement on trades that weren't made."

So yes, judging by the rebuild and his tenure thus far, I trust Elias' judgement in all things roster related - including trade values. He's responsible for gathering and assembling the resources that would be traded, so who would be better at evaluating their value? 

Of course the other side probably didn't think it was an overpay. They're literally trying to get as much as humanly possible for whoever they're trading. If you're the opposing GM and you're trying to trade a player to a GM desperate to make a playoff push, there's no such thing as an overpay!

But, he’s built an organization through drafts, development, selling parts for prospects, grabbing guys off the scrap pile, a bargain bin free agents signings. 

What he hasn’t done is a trade for a star or signed a top free agent to a big contract. I’d say he’s done nothing yet to prove he’s competent at this part of the job. 

Im not saying he won’t be successful just that he hasn’t. But, his chance is coming. We have extra prospect chips, players nearing free agency, and should have some payroll to spend.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

But, he’s built an organization through drafts, development, selling parts for prospects, grabbing guys off the scrap pile, a bargain bin free agents signings. 

What he hasn’t done is a trade for a star or signed a top free agent to a big contract. I’d say he’s done nothing yet to prove he’s competent at this part of the job. 

Im not saying he won’t be successful just that he hasn’t. But, his chance is coming. We have extra prospect chips, players nearing free agency, and should have some payroll to spend.

One could say that he had a chance at the deadline.