Mike Elias Press Conference(Long but Interesting)

Bird Lady

12 hours ago, One eyed Bird said:

Its already been proven, Angelos will milk every penny he can from this team, Elias will work wonders with a bottom 3 MLB payroll, Angelos will tell everyone how great he is if they are winning and will disappear from sight if they aren’t, by the way John have you signed that 30 year lease yet, didn’t think so once again the apple and the tree syndrome 

The problem is John has no independent wealth not tied up in the Legacy of his father.  He has never worked and made his own money.  So he is skimming money off the Orioles to fund his lifestyle no doubt.  I do wish we had a Multi Billionare owner that was using the club as an ego vehicle and had excess money to throw into the club.  That would be perfect.   We dont have that.  We have a guy that needs the club to pay his bills. 

Edited by Gurgi

8 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Cot's already has its Arb estimates penciled into 2024 projections.

They have it at $67mm already, so Gibson-Frazier type acquisitions would take them to mid-80's.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x5bu-k__81Rfjcl98QDlTmqkKyIPCylQ4ieEsr73nAk/edit#gid=1520401900

We’re paying McCann much less than 12.5 and no way we’re bringing back Hicks at almost 10M. The Yankees pay his contract. 

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

Regarding the bolded, who gives a crap?

He won 101 games and the American League East.

He doesn't need to sign a ToP fReE aGeNt to get the benefit of the doubt.

For me, Elias needs to show he's willing to, and can succeed in, adding real talent from outside the system, whether by signing high-level free agents (maybe not an option due to ownership) or trading minor-league talent for top talent, or some combination of the two. Those are hard things to do because of the unavoidable risks: high-priced free agents or trade targets might turn out to the next Davis (Glenn or Chris), and two years after a trade Jordan Westburg might hit 30 HRs and be an All-Star. Compounding those risks is the fact that payroll constraints mean that Elias has a limited number of shots he can take. But I think improving this team will require taking some risks of those kinds. 

I like what he said about the wall.  It obviously achieved what he wanted it to (not having the most homer friendly left field in the league) but he recognizes that it may not be the most aesthetically pleasing solution.  Work can be done to keep the wall back a bit while smoothing out that area so it fits the rest of the ballpark better.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

To improve the team for the playoffs.

How did that work out?

During the season it was frequently touted that we had to improve to keep up and compete with the Braves, the Rays and the Dodgers. Houston and Texas were in the mix, but I am just not sure the exit is as simple as we didn’t get better. 

For example say we got Hader from San Diego. Does that make us better? Of course. Does it make Bradish and Rodriguez not throw to a 29 ERA?  

Maybe it does, maybe it means we never see Baker and maybe that change alone vaults the Os into the next round. 

But the exit is as much because eatablished but inexperienced players failed to play at a high level as it is that the lineup wasn’t good enough. 

This is all splitting hairs and most surely Elias will be thinking about how to approach next year differently. 

But lots of folks are essentially making the same argument for why the Orioles lost in the playoffs that they were making in July saying the Orioles couldn’t win the East. 

The Orioles were good enough. They didn’t play good enough. I really think it is that simple. 

Edited by foxfield
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

During the season it was frequently touted that we had to improve to keep up and compete with the Braves, the Rays and the Dodgers. Houston and Texas were in the mix, but I am just not sure the exit is as simple as we didn’t get better. 

For example say we got Hader from San Diego. Does that make us better? Of course. Does it make Bradish and Rodriguez not throw to a 29 ERA?  

Maybe it does, maybe it means we never see Baker and maybe that change alone vaults the Os into the next round. 

But the exit is as much because eatablished but inexperienced players failed to play at a high level as it is that the lineup wasn’t good enough. 

This is all splitting hairs and most surely Elias will be thinking about how to approach next year differently. 

But lots of folks are essentially making the same argument for why the Orioles lost in the playoffs that they were making in July saying the Orioles couldn’t win the East. 

The Orioles were good enough. They didn’t play good enough. I really think it is that simple. 

Did you mean Kremer and Rodriguez pitching to a 29 ERA? Bradish pitched fine. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe you trade for EdRod and he pitches game one and everything changes?

Elias could have traded for players that would have increased the talent on the team and chose not to.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias could have traded for players that would have increased the talent on the team and chose not to

EdRod rejected a trade to the Dodgers, does he accept one to the Orioles?  I think Elias did try to trade, but the asking price was too high.  I thought we overpaid for Flaherty.

2 minutes ago, kaj21206 said:

EdRod rejected a trade to the Dodgers, does he accept one to the Orioles?  I think Elias did try to trade, but the asking price was too high.  I thought we overpaid for Flaherty.

The reports were that Rodriguez would have accepted a trade to a team on the East Coast. His family was in Florida and he did not want to be a cross country flight away from them.

3 minutes ago, kaj21206 said:

Word was the O's would have been acceptable.  True?

I'm sure he thought the price was too high.

But was he overvaluating his guys?

Again we won't ever know.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias could have traded for players that would have increased the talent on the team and chose not to.

Yes this is true. But Hicks could have also homered instead of missing a signal. The point is, they didn’t lose because of Elias. 

They might have had a different outcome had he done more. I am not disputing that at all, but that is t what went wrong. 

Yes this is true. But Hicks could have also homered instead of missing a signal. The point is, they didn’t lose because of Elias. 

They might have had a different outcome had he done more. I am not disputing that at all, but that is t what went wrong. 

I'm not trying to suggest that any one cause was to blame.

I just think given the farm, payroll, and needs of the club more should have been done.