Why Kyle Gibson might be resigned

RZNJ

15 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I think the O's need to acquire a true #2-3, and Kremer should be our "Gibson". He went from 125.1 IP to 172.2 IP this season. Perhaps he can take a step forward and show more consistency (he laid turds in Apr and Jun).

I admit he’s been streaky both good and bad. I’d like to see growth as his good streaks have been really good.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was the first season under the new CBA, might that be a factor?

It was also like that in 2019 ($41.9M) so I don't think so. The only common factor is Elias so I wonder if he is doing something clever. They renegotiated Chris Davis's future year after he lost some money in 2020 due to COVID, maybe that could get counted in 2022 somehow????? Maybe they are forward paying toward International players health care and/or the Dominican Academy??? I really can't come up anything realistic.

6 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Sure.  First name, John.  Last name Business.

Means is another issue …. He’s a free agent after this coming season. Would he extend for $15 million over 2 years? If so I’d give him that today and tear up his current 2024 deal. That would give the Os a year to see what they have post TJ. If not did he pitch enough to bring back fair value in trade. 

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I admit he’s been streaky both good and bad. I’d like to see growth as his good streaks have been really good.

I would actually want the O's to acquire two #2-3 starters and have Wells and Kremer compete for 5th starter. 

6 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I would actually want the O's to acquire two #2-3 starters and have Wells and Kremer compete for 5th starter. 

1 Bradish 

2 Rodriguez 

3 Means

4 & 5.  2 #2-3 starters 

What am I missing?   That doesn’t leave a 5th spot for Kremer to compete for.  Is he competing with Means?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

1 Bradish 

2 Rodriguez 

3 Means

4 & 5.  2 #2-3 starters 

What am I missing?   That doesn’t leave a 5th spot for Kremer to compete for.  Is he competing with Means?

I suppose my math was a little flawed, at least the logic. Perhaps the way to address it is to say that I'm not yet assuming Means is a full go?

On 10/16/2023 at 6:34 PM, RZNJ said:

192 innings.    He’s not great but he wasn’t bad and he provided what they wanted and needed.    On a staff where the top 3 is probably Bradish, GRod, and Means,  he still slots in along with Kremer for a stable 4-5.    This would allow Irvin to be a long man and keep Wells and Hall in the pen.   It also requires no prospects and a short term financial commitment.   I know everyone wants that #1 or #2 starter but I don’t see it happening.   We would still be going into next season with a stronger rotation than 2022 considering GRod being over his growing pains and Means being available from the start.   This still allows for an in season acquisition (not that I would get my hopes up).   

How about Popovich?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 9:19 AM, AnythingO's said:

I was the one who posted the numbers and yes they had Operating Income (Profits) of $83 M in 2021 and $67 M in 2022. However, Salaries were $45.7 M and $44.9 M those years and 2022 was one of the years when benefits jumped up to $38.1 M for some unknown reason. The years they lost money were 2016-2018 when Salaries were $143 M to $164 M, Payroll was $161 M to $183 M. Benefits were in the $15 M to $18 M range then.

So the better part of $150 million disappeared into JA's pockets in 21 and 22, but there's no money to increase payroll.  Got it.  He's already having nightmares about payroll increasing and God forbid, an extension or two.  All I want for Christmas is a new owner.