Henderson ROY, Hyde MOY, Elias EOY thread

Uli2001

4 hours ago, interloper said:

I heard a rumor that MOY got leaked and it was Bochy, but not sure if there's any truth to it. 

The rumor was based around the idea that when MLb released their press release on all the finalists from the awards, people noticed that it looked like the presumed winners were listed first in each category.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Texas was +22 wins this season, the O’s were +18.  So, I could see the case for Bochy.  But I think Hyde deserves it more.  

I think the payroll discrepancies make this race a landslide for Hyde.

Tony said it before but people acting like Texas is some heroic team for going from a lot of losses to a lot of wins are being foolish.

On 11/2/2023 at 10:04 AM, Matt Bennett said:

I know this award really just goes to the manager and the executive of the team that:

1. improved alot

2. made the playoffs

But Elias' moves this year were pretty underwhelming. Aaron Hicks, O'Hearn and Coloumbe were league minimum signings/waiver claim/cash consideration trades. They racked up what? 4.0 WAR? Does that get you EotY?

Kyle Gibson, Adam Frazier, and Cole Irvin were insufficient, too close to replacement level additions. Jack Flaherty and Fujinami were bad trade deadline acquisitions. I can't even remember if they made the playoff roster. 

He has certainly earned praise (drafting Adley, drafting Gunnar, drafting Westburg, trading for Bradish, claiming Ramon Urias). But those were transactions made years ago. 

Elias had done a great job. I know it's just an acknowledgment of good work of the past few years and that this is I nit-picky. But it's an annual award! It's day one of the off-season. Entertain me.

So the award should go to the Exec that spends the most money in the off season and trade deadline?

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the payroll discrepancies make this race a landslide for Hyde.

Tony said it before but people acting like Texas is some heroic team for going from a lot of losses to a lot of wins are being foolish.

I agree… which is why it would be very suspicious is Bochy won it over Hyde. Hence the bias comment. 

11 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I agree… which is why it would be very suspicious is Bochy won it over Hyde. Hence the bias comment. 

There is no bias. When things don’t go the way you think they should for your team, it doesn’t mean there is a bias.

It is an award voted on by the BBWAA, not MLB.  It just depends on how those voters view it.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Sure.   I'm a huge Os fan, but I'd vote for Bochy myself, though it's close.  Just being honest. 

If it’s only based on regular season, it simply has to be Hyde and Gunnar. Obviously if it was also the postseason, it would be Bochy and Gunnar.

My ballot:

MVP -

Acuna - 40/70 = special.  

Ohtani - It's the Ohtani award for the seasons that he pitches until he proves otherwise.  Someone else will get a chance in 2024.

CY -

Gallen - Total package.  Webb is my second choice because of his command.

Cole - 3 really strong candidates.  

ROY -

Carroll - Will he challenge Acuna for the fun factor next year?

Gunnar - What Bibee did as an SP was really good.  And Casas came on strong late.  But Gunnar was Mr. Everything.

MOY -

Schumaker - worked through some big injuries.  But the devil in my would vote for Counsell just to watch the MIL/CHC tiff...  That would be like Hyde leaving Baltimore for BOS/NYY.

Hyde - I'm a homer.  "Did more with less."  Cash probably deserves it with the injuries and junk...

10 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think the awards are supposed to be for regular season only; correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, it's Hyde, no brainer. When the regular season ended, if you would have voted right then and there, Bochy wouldn't have gotten into the top 5; they were in a tailspin.

But it's not a no brainer.  Sure you can prefer Hyde and I think he has the stronger case but don't discount what Bochy accomplished.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There is no bias. When things don’t go the way you think they should for your team, it doesn’t mean there is a bias.

It is an award voted on by the BBWAA, not MLB.  It just depends on how those voters view it.

Sure, if there's objective justification for it, but Bochy won less games with a far, far bigger payroll. There's no reasonable argument for him.