11/8: Bowens Homers In Mesa Win

cboemmeljr

Thanks for these, as always, Chuck.  Tonight is the final regular season game, and unless I’m misunderstanding how the AFL playoffs work (which is possible) , I don’t think Mesa (13-16) can make the Friday night play-in game.   So, I think tonight ends Mesa’s season.  

I’d say Billy Cook (.222/.360/.458) and T.T. Bowens (.221/.318/.442) have had solid AFL seasons, despite the low BAs.   Cook is in the top 25 in OPS and both are tied for 10th in homers with 4.  John Rhodes (.134/.227/.284) and Connor Pavalony (.136/.235/.227) were pretty much a disaster. 

On the pitching side, it was disappointing to see Carter Baumler shut down after 3 outings (10 IP, 15 K’s, 4.50 ERA).  No word on whether that was by design, or if he had health issues.  Trevor McGough was interesting in relief, posting a 3.00 ERA in 9 innings with 12 K’s.  Zach Peek (5.63 ERA, 6 K’s in 8 innings) and Carlos Tavera (7.71 ERA, 7 K’s in 4.2 IP) were inconsistent, while Peter Van Loon (10.24 ERA, 15 K’s in 9.2 innings) was absolutely torched, allowing 5 homers.

Overall, it’s been an uninspiring Fall League for O’s fans.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thanks for these, as always, Chuck.  Tonight is the final regular season game, and unless I’m misunderstanding how the AFL playoffs work (which is possible) , I don’t think Mesa (13-16) can make the Friday night play-in game.   So, I think tonight ends Mesa’s season.  

I’d say Billy Cook (.222/.360/.458) and T.T. Bowens (.221/.318/.442) have had solid AFL seasons, despite the low BAs.   Cook is in the top 25 in OPS and both are tied for 10th in homers with 4.  John Rhodes (.134/.227/.284) and Connor Pavalony (.136/.235/.227) were pretty much a disaster. 

On the pitching side, it was disappointing to see Carter Baumler shut down after 3 outings (10 IP, 15 K’s, 4.50 ERA).  No word on whether that was by design, or if he had health issues.  Trevor McGough was interesting in relief, posting a 3.00 ERA in 9 innings with 12 K’s.  Zach Peek (5.63 ERA, 6 K’s in 8 innings) and Carlos Tavera (7.71 ERA, 7 K’s in 4.2 IP) were inconsistent, while Peter Van Loon (10.24 ERA, 15 K’s in 9.2 innings) was absolutely torched, allowing 5 homers.

Overall, it’s been an uninspiring Fall League for O’s fans.   

As always @Frobbyyour assessment is spot on.  It has been a blah season overall.  Mesa will play their last game tonight.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 1.15.22 PM.png

On 11/9/2023 at 11:03 AM, Frobby said:

On the pitching side, it was disappointing to see Carter Baumler shut down after 3 outings (10 IP, 15 K’s, 4.50 ERA).  No word on whether that was by design, or if he had health issues.

I'm curious about this as well.  Guys like Tiedemann and Jobe only had 4 GS.  So I'm going to assume it was by design/get each teams' prospects in until we hear something about his health.