Just Baseball Top 100

Frobby

On 11/9/2023 at 1:32 PM, RZNJ said:

Some interesting tidbits on Salas.  10 PB in 22 games and 22% CS at low A.  Good offensive numbers in a hitters league.  Didn’t do much offensively in 9 games in A+ and 9 games in AA.  Of course, he doesn’t even turn 18 until next June.

I understand it's easy to get excited about Salas in AA at 17, but as you noted he didn't hit in AA.  Will be interesting to see how he does this year, but I can't see him sticking at catcher.

18 hours ago, RZNJ said:

There’s no way there’s room for both Kjerstad and Cowser right now.   Only one unless there’s an injury or someone is traded.

If we trade O'Hearn (prob peak value) and move Santa to 1B-DH mostly (keep healthy), then there should be 400 ABs in RF for Kjerstad. IMO Cowser needs to show he can cover CF to be able to spell both Mullins and Hays. If he can do that defensively and hit a bit he could get 300 ABs. Hyde would need to IL the vets when they get hurt instead of letting them play through it. I doubt Hyde will do that though so you are probably right. I trust Kjerstad more than Cowser.

38 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I understand it's easy to get excited about Salas in AA at 17, but as you noted he didn't hit in AA.  Will be interesting to see how he does this year, but I can't see him sticking at catcher.

I don't have any issues with what he did/didn't do at AA.  I'm more curious as to what SDP was thinking to move Salas above A+ ball so fast without proving it first.  What were they looking at that told them Salas was ready for the next challenge?  Even his SSS at A+ ball means very little.

He's got time to mature as a C.  And is still a stud any org would be happy to have.

On 11/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, Frobby said:

Just Baseball is a site that covers the minors pretty closely and produces podcasts.  They came out with their top 100 about 3 weeks ago, but I just saw it today.   They are high on a lot of Orioles.  I’ve posted little snippets from the write-ups below, but the full write-ups are very encouraging and worth a read.

1. Holliday: “How much power he taps into will be a determinant in just how great of a player Holliday can become.”

12. Mayo: “There’s big-time power to dream on with Mayo along with the approach and bat-to-ball skills that should allow him to get on base at a strong clip.”

20. Basallo: “He moves well to continue to get looks at catcher, but his blocking and receiving has a ways to go.”

31. Kjerstad: “Kjerstad is a high probability big league regular with the potential to be a middle-of-the-order threat.”

36. Cowser: “The uptick in power and comfort in center field pushes Cowser’s ceiling higher, but Orioles fans should feel really confident in the fact that they have at least an above average regular who is capable of playing all three outfield spots.”

43. Ortiz: “a high probability regular with enough value on both sides of the ball to be an above average big league shortstop if the bat translates. It seems like some improvements to his approach could be the final piece to making that happen.”

76. Norby: “Norby brings above average speed to the table and excellent footwork/actions at second base. He has good hands and an average arm. He should be an above average defender at the position.”

https://www.justbaseball.com/prospects/mlb-top-100-prospects-2023/

Somebody watched two highlight plays and came up with that assessment of Norby's defense! lol Makes me not want to pay attention to anything they else post.