Elias: Os looking for a top half of the rotation starter and closer

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

“We had a number of guys we were in on, they just didn’t come together “

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

“We had a number of guys we were in on, they just didn’t come together “

Sure, but as I said the other day, Elias knows he made the excuse about the FA market taking him by surprise last year.   He didn’t have the amount of trade chips he does year also coming off a great season.  I think he’s smart enough to know his credibility is on the line this time.   His comments that basically said you can’t wait around for one target and then get caught holding the bag lead me to believe they will have something done sooner rather than later this year.   

If I had to guess in order.

1. Cease

2. Stroman

3. Gray

4. ERod

5. Someone no one has mentioned 

These picks were not made for betting purposes!

Edited by RZNJ

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The market surprised us a bit.

But he’s kind of saying the opposite this year.  “I think people are really charging pretty hard out of the gates,” he said. “It seems like there are a lot of teams going for it. Part of that is the new wild-card rules. Part of that is just happenstance. But there are a lot of aspirational teams. Lot of teams looking for pitching, it sounds like. And everything is picking up pretty quickly. It seems like it’s going to be a bit of a bull market again.”

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Sure, but as I said the other day, Elias knows he made the excuse about the FA market taking him by surprise last year.   He didn’t have the amount of trade chips he does year also coming off a great season.  I think he’s smart enough to know his credibility is on the line this time.   His comments that basically said you can’t wait around for one target and then get caught holding the bag lead me to believe they will have something done sooner rather than later this year.   

If I had to guess in order.

1. Cease

2. Stroman

3. Gray

4. ERod

5. Someone no one has mentioned 

These picks were not made for betting purposes!

Can I have some of what you’re having please?

I think someone like Kimbrel on a two year deal is the biggest splash we’ll see. 

12 minutes ago, joelala said:

Can I have some of what you’re having please?

I think someone like Kimbrel on a two year deal is the biggest splash we’ll see. 

They won’t go 2.  1 for Kimbrel or Robertson perhaps.  

Chocolate milk?

Edited by RZNJ

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Now you’re getting picky.  Ottavino fits Elias description.  

I like Neris a bit too. If we could get at least one of those guys and then hit on one of our bullpen reclamation projects, I’d be pleased. 

I really think the model we will end up most closely paralleling is Cleveland’s, so I don’t see any large splashes for us (no bird bath pun intended.)

12 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Just for the record, I would like to see the O's sign ERod.  (He's the guy I wanted at the trade deadline too).  

I'm not enthusiastic about Kimbrel.  I know that it's a small sample, but Kimbrel was terrible in the NLCS.  

The Orioles are competitively bidding for E-Rod or any of the other big names. We’re back to the we aren’t participating era of PA.

17 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Just for the record, I would like to see the O's sign ERod.  (He's the guy I wanted at the trade deadline too).  

I'm not enthusiastic about Kimbrel.  I know that it's a small sample, but Kimbrel was terrible in the NLCS.  

Kimbrel was also terrible at the beginning of the 2023 season and actually lost the closer role to Alvarado (until he got injured). Couple that with his terrible August and terrible NLCS performance and I'm really not sure why anyone would suggest that we target/sign him. It's pretty easy to read the tea leaves and see that he's an old (35) pitcher who's trending in the wrong direction. 

I like E-Rod. He's solid, but not great which would make it a bit hard for me to give him a 4+ year contract. That's my only hangup with targeting him. 

On 11/12/2023 at 9:56 AM, RZNJ said:

Now you’re getting picky.  Ottavino fits Elias description.  

I don't know if I agree.  Ottavino could've been had at the deadline and Elias passed.  I'm hoping for Kimbrel and Quintana.  Kimbrel sees an opportunity to rack up saves in his chase for 500.  Quintana could loosely pass as "top end" SP.  He's at least a playoff option given that he's left handed.  

Ottavino is a guy that I talked up at the deadline, but instead we claimed Webb, and Jorge Lopez.  Webb will be back.  I imagine Lopez will be back on a milb deal as well.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't know if I agree.  Ottavino could've been had at the deadline and Elias passed.  I'm hoping for Kimbrel and Quintana.  Kimbrel sees an opportunity to rack up saves in his chase for 500.  Quintana could loosely pass as "top end" SP.  He's at least a playoff option given that he's left handed.  

Ottavino is a guy that I talked up at the deadline, but instead we claimed Webb, and Jorge Lopez.  Webb will be back.  I imagine Lopez will be back on a milb deal as well.  

Elias said he wanted a back end reliever and some closing experience was a plus.  Someone else brought up Ottavino and I said he fit that description.  That’s all.