2023 #7 Prospect Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, interloper said:

To me it seems obvious he meant "grow into my body" rather than "pump iron more than necessary and eat a million calories to force weight on". Like, what, do you think he's talking about steroids or something? 

We interpreted it the same way.  I think he should pump iron and try to add 10 pounds of mostly muscle.  That's what I 've been saying from the beginning.   You said it was dumb and now you say you agree. (regarding what he meant)

Edited by RZNJ

The Os have been amazing at the draft since Elias took over and while they aren’t infallible, I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.  

Some people had him as a top 10 talent in the draft. The Os took him 17th, which isn’t exactly a spot that guarantees you anything.

That said, he wasn’t looked at as a top talent because he runs fast and plays good defense. There has to be more to it than that.

On top of that, he was at an elite baseball school, in an elite baseball conference. 

It’s very rare that a kid comes into a pro situation and doesn’t see growth in his body. Bradfield will do this if he wants it. How much growth his frame allows is tbd but it’s going to happen.

I said it before and I stand by it. By the end of this year, he should at least start to look like the heir apparent to Mullins and him starting on OD is possible because of that speed and defense. Re-work his swing, let him get stronger, etc..all of that is fine. But we will know a lot more by the end of the MiL season. 

I don’t think there should be any amount of worry about him right now. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the idea is to make one or both of them relocate during the offseason and force them to work together without additional pay.

I know I'd appreciate it if my job wanted me to train my replacement off the clock.

He clearly supports racial segregation 

52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No.  I know worst case scenario could be worse but that's pretty close.

I wouldn't take it either because I think he might do better, and because I'm not sure that'd be good enough for the 2020s O's. 

But it wouldn't be too bad of an outcome for him in the scheme of things.

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Starting at his age 23 season, Hamilton had a five year starting run as the Reds' CF. In those five years he produced: 

• .244/.297/.332/.629
  • Average season: 4 HR, 32 RBI, 71 R, 53 SB
  • 11.2 fWAR, 8.7 rWAR

Would you sign up for that as an output for EBJ's Oriole years? 

Brian Hunter is another floor comp I thought of. .264/.313/.660, 7.4 WAR over 9 years. Not a terrible outcome but I'm hoping for closer to Juan Pierre. That would still be a great outcome despite 1-2 HR/year output. 

I'm all for adding muscle but I'm not sure I'd do much to his swing. Would teaching him to hit for power force him to be something he's not? Will be really interesting to see how they approach it. He could get the Willie Mays Hays treatment where he has to do push ups every time he tries to pull it in the air. 

I am hoping for something in between Juan Pierre and Kenny Lofton.  Kenny Lofton had 68 BWAR which is insane vs. Pierre's 17.  I would hope Bradfield would have a higher defensive floor than Pierre although I was hoping to give Bradfield a little more time before trying to project him.

At what age are people hoping he comes up.  Does coming up in 2 years, meaning he spends age 22 and 23 in the minors, be too aggressive?  At some point, the speed and defensive value would decline, right?  I would hope he could be up in the majors by 24, although that could be too lofty.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the idea is to make one or both of them relocate during the offseason and force them to work together without additional pay.

I know I'd appreciate it if my job wanted me to train my replacement off the clock.

So, your interpretation was WRONG but you're still going with it.   That's the Corn we know.  Something tells me you won't even admit you were wrong or look foolish on the Billy Hamilton comment.    You really are a funny guy.   In a weird way.   😁

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, your interpretation was WRONG but you're still going with it.   That's the Corn we know.  Something tells me you won't even admit you were wrong or look foolish on the Billy Hamilton comment.    You really are a funny guy.   In a weird way.   😁

He doubled down on "pairing him" with Mullins.

That's on him.

It's not Mullin's job to be paired up with a kid in the minors.

I decided not to engage you on the Hamiltion comment because that was Malike's point and he did a fine job.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do you think you're these guy's union rep?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He doubled down on "pairing him" with Mullins.

That's on him.

It's not Mullin's job to be paired up with a kid in the minors.

I decided not to engage you on the Hamiltion comment because that was Malike's point and he did a fine job.

So you're sticking with Hamilton would have been valuable IF he had been a good defender?   LOL

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And I said that he'll need a better batting average than Hamilton showed.

I do agree with Malike that if you put a plus glove on Hamilton's profile you have a pretty useful player for the first 6-7 years of their career.

This is aging like milk left on the counter for three days.    "If you put a plus glove on Hamilton's profile."

What a completely incorrect comment.   The difference between you and Malike?    He had the balls to admit it.   Good luck finding yours.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So you're sticking with Hamilton would have been valuable IF he had been a good defender?   LOL

Once again I didn't say that.

Weird how often you put words in my mouth.

Not even sure what point you are trying to say I made.

Hamilton had value even with his flaws.  You don't often see a guy in today's game hang on for 11 seasons if he's not valuable.

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So funny.  If Bradfield had laced base hits everywhere we'd be talking about a faster Tony Gwynn in his small sample size.

Now we're just hoping he's Billy Hamilton.

The sample size of him not being able to hit isn't that small