Bowden: Burnes potential suitors including Os

Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe the whole industry is weary of projecting 16 year old pitchers.  Kind of interesting that only two pitchers are listed on mlb among the top 50 international prospects.

I don’t think either one of us knows anything about our scouting down there besides the results we see.  The program started in 2020 and some say not fully up to speed until 2022.  We’ll see.

You also don't see any second basemen on the list and shortstop is hugely over-represented.  Some of these SS are going to end up on the mound at the end of the day.

I wasn't going by the big dollar signings as much as I haven't seen much in the way of pitching yet from guys Elias has signed from the International pool. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You also don't see any second basemen on the list and shortstop is hugely over-represented.  Some of these SS are going to end up on the mound at the end of the day.

I wasn't going by the big dollar signings as much as I haven't seen much in the way of pitching yet from guys Elias has signed from the International pool. 

Some of us think these guys are interesting.  Luis  De León, Moises Chace, Deivy Cruz, Edgar Portes.   

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

LOL.  Ok.  Do you know anything about those 4?

A bit, far from expert.

I was speaking in general about "interesting" pitching prospects.

I don't view the term as being particularly impressive.

A guy with a plus plus fastball velocity and no idea where it is going and poor secondaries can be "interesting".  Oh if only he can learn to command the fastball and improve the curve....

Every farm system has a group of "interesting" pitching prospects, most don't end up doing much.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

A bit, far from expert.

I was speaking in general about "interesting" pitching prospects.

I don't view the term as being particularly impressive.

A guy with a plus plus fastball velocity and no idea where it is going and poor secondaries can be "interesting".  Oh if only he can learn to command the fastball and improve the curve....

Every farm system has a group of "interesting" pitching prospects, most don't end up doing much.

You’re right.  Most don’t end up doing much.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is reality that oftentimes teams want....gasp...pitching.

It's one of the issues I have with the hitters first, second and third approach Elias has been taking.

My point was the trade, aside from being completely off on value, just didn't make sense for the Orioles AT ALL given their already limited young pitching depth.  If Jim Bowden had spent more than a millisecond researching each team before he wrote that drivel of an article he would have realized that too. 

14 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

My point was the trade, aside from being completely off on value, just didn't make sense for the Orioles AT ALL given their already limited young pitching depth.  If Jim Bowden had spent more than a millisecond researching each team before he wrote that drivel of an article he would have realized that too. 

You don’t not make a trade for a big upgrade to your staff in a World Series season because you are also giving up some pitching that may or may not become anything.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t not make a trade for a big upgrade to your staff in a World Series season because you are also giving up some pitching that may or may not become anything.

Sure you do. A smart GM would stick to his game plan and trade from positions of strength (not weaknesses). If that doesn't work for the Brewers then he should call one of the other 28 MLB teams.  I'm sure someone would be willing to trade us a solid SP for a few of our many hitting prospects.  Then again, the article was most definitely not written by a "smart GM". 

5 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Sure you do. A smart GM would stick to his game plan and trade from positions of strength (not weaknesses). If that doesn't work for the Brewers then he should call one of the other 28 MLB teams.  I'm sure someone would be willing to trade us a solid SP for a few of our many hitting prospects.  Then again, the article was most definitely not written by a "smart GM". 

Sure you can go that route but you can also make a very easy and legit argument that Burnes is the best possible pitcher we could get and since winning is what matters, you can overlook the idea of giving up middling pitching prospects.

You say no to this idea because Mayo, not Hall and McDermott.

Now, I don’t think I trade Hall because we need him for the pen to win now. But would I deal
Povich and McDermott?  Sure.

Put it this way..if it cost McDermott and Povich to get Burnes or Cowser and Ortiz for Cease, in taking Burnes all day. Now, that trade isn’t realistic but just saying, that’s better for us.