Bowden: Burnes potential suitors including Os

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

It's a relief pitcher for a starter.  Hall might become a dominant reliever but I wouldn't say he is one now.   If you knew we would sign someone like Stephenson would it change your mind?

For me, yes. If it was a certainty we'd sign Stephenson or better, I'd do it. And if we do actually do a trade involving Hall, I will have to assume Elias is pretty darn sure he's close to signing a reliever. 

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

Jim Riley from Ballcap Sports proposed this trade between the Brewers and the O's:

Orioles get:

Corbin Burnes

Brewers get:

DL Hall and Ryan Mountcastle

It's an even match on the Baseball Trade Values website and the Brewers need a corner infielder and want to compete this year even if they trade Burnes.

Have Santander dust off that first base glove and open up some starts in the outfield for Cowser and Kjerstad? 

What say you? Yay or nay?

I'd say yes before they had the chance to change their minds.  Mountcastle is replaceable internally for the most part and I'd take a good starter for a talented reliever any day.  

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It's a relief pitcher for a starter.  Hall might become a dominant reliever but I wouldn't say he is one now.   If you knew we would sign someone like Stephenson would it change your mind?

Maybe. I would still like to give them someone with similar value that is less of a need for us but is still a need for them. 

10 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I just have very little interest in Burnes because we only get him for 1 year. 

I'd trade guys who are on their way out or lesser prospects, but not an electric arm we have for the next 5 years. Mountcastle + Norby + Perez, sure.

That's a much more palatable/fair deal to me. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Question: when is the last time an ace-level pitcher was traded in the offseason with one year of service remaining?  I’m sure it’s happened often enough, but I’m having trouble thinking of an example.  

Definitely seems like if the team is going to trade a guy, it would make more sense for them to try to extract more value at the preceding trade deadline. Cole was an offseason trade but with two years of control. Charlie Morton was traded from the Pirates to Phillies in the offseason with one year remaining, but he was hardly ace level at that time.

For me it's a tough pill to swallow to give up a versatile left handed pitcher (starter or closer) with electric stuff and years of team control.

But I do understand Burnes is one of the premiere starting pitchers in the league.

If the Brewers need corner infielders, I would use this opportunity to shop Urias in the trade. And I would try to send them a RHP in return (McDermott? Armbruster?) because we are far too scarce on our lefties. Mountcastle would be alot of RH HR (and defensive) potential to let go, but I do think that could make sense for both teams. Especially if we have Mayo in the plans for 2024.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

For me it's a tough pill to swallow to give up a versatile left handed pitcher (starter or closer) with electric stuff and years of team control.

But I do understand Burnes is one of the premiere starting pitchers in the league.

If the Brewers need corner infielders, I would use this opportunity to shop Urias in the trade. And I would try to send them a RHP in return (McDermott? Armbruster?) because we are far too scarce on our lefties. Mountcastle would be alot of RH HR (and defensive) potential to let go, but I do think that could make sense for both teams. Especially if we have Mayo in the plans for 2024.

Maybe Tyler Wells would be the best sub in for DL Hall in a trade discussion like this if we don't want to give away the left hander with 6 years of team control remaining.

5 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Nay. I'm not trading Hall. If we trade prospects I think it should be from our surplus (i.e. hitting). 

I don't want to trade Hall either. He checks too many boxes of what the Orioles distinctively need.

I would be more likely trade Tyler Wells and Ramon Urias than DL Hall and Ryan Mountcastle. The Brewers need corner infielders and Urias is one of the best we have (defensively). Plus he's mostly depth surplus for us, and he's well into his arbitration years and going to be approaching free agency before we know it.

If I could do prospects I would offer McDermott or Povich as the pitcher rather than give up either Wells or Hall.

Side note, Ortiz is a SS but he can play 3B too.  The guy in the video said the Brewers aren't looking for outfielders so I wont bother offering outfielders. But that would significantly change the discussion.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Question: when is the last time an ace-level pitcher was traded in the offseason with one year of service remaining?  I’m sure it’s happened often enough, but I’m having trouble thinking of an example.  

Corey Kluber? When he was traded to to the Rangers (from the Guardians) in 2019. If I'm remembering correctly he only had one year remaining on his contract when he was traded. 

6 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Corey Kluber? When he was traded to to the Rangers (from the Guardians) in 2019. If I'm remembering correctly he only had one year remaining on his contract when he was traded. 

He only had a year remaining but had only made 7 starts, with a 5.80 ERA, before suffering a broken arm that ended his 2019 season.  So, though he’d been an ace in the past, his status was a bit diminished at the time of that trade.