Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

32 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

That right there is a thread. Now let's talk about the thread. Can we talk about the thread please, @Pickles? I've been dying to talk about the thread with you all day, okay? @PepeSylvia, this name keeps comin' up over and over and over again. Every day Pepe's posts getting sent to me. Pepe Silvia, Pepe Silvia, I look on the site, this whole thread is Pepe Silvia! So I say to myself I gotta find this guy. I gotta go up to his office, I gotta put an upvote in the guy's goddamn hands! Otherwise he's never gonna get it, it's gonna keep coming back down here. So I go up to Pepe's office and what do I find out, @Pickles, what do I find out? There is no Pepe Silvia. The man does not exist, okay? So I decided, ohh shit, buddy, I gotta dig a little deeper. There's no Pepe Silvia, you gotta be kidding me, I got threads full of Pepe! All right, so I start marching my way down to @Frobby in H.R. and I knock on his door and I say, "Froobby, Frooobby! I gotta talk to you about Pepe!" And when I open the door, what do I find? There's not a single goddamn desk in that office. There is no @Frobby in H.R. @Pickles, half the posters  on this site have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

My favorite part of the bit, which doesn't jump out at you at first, is that Pepe Sylvia is clearly Charlie's illiterate way of reading Pennsylvania.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ripken said:

ChiSox59 said:  Kjerstad, Ortiz, Povich and Beavers is my ask and I am not budging. 

The thing I don’t like about this is there’s a decent chance Kjerstad turns into a LH Eloy and Ortiz turns into Jose Iglesias. I do like Povich and Beavers as secondary pieces though but I’m just not a fan of the two headliners.

🤣

Iglesias has been worth 11.7 rWAR, 14.4 fWAR in his career, Jimenez 5.7 and 5.4.  That would be a pretty good return before you even get to what Povich and/or Beavers might produce.  

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Ripken said:

ChiSox59 said:  Kjerstad, Ortiz, Povich and Beavers is my ask and I am not budging. 

The thing I don’t like about this is there’s a decent chance Kjerstad turns into a LH Eloy and Ortiz turns into Jose Iglesias. I do like Povich and Beavers as secondary pieces though but I’m just not a fan of the two headliners.

🤣

They aren’t getting Kjerstad imo.

• Upvote 1

It just keeps getting better over there...

What would Cease and Robert be worth together for Baltimore ? Let's say they keep Holliday but all their other prospects are available do you think a 2 for 7 or 8 very good prospects wouldn't be enough to excite the fan base or jump start this team for at least a run at the Central by 2026 ? Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo. Ortiz, Beavers, Hall, Basallo, Norby, Westburg, Fabian, Bradfield, Jr., Povich, McDermott, Horvath. That's 14 guys. Take 7 of them and a couple lottery tickets and let's get this party started!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

It just keeps getting better over there...

What would Cease and Robert be worth together for Baltimore ? Let's say they keep Holliday but all their other prospects are available do you think a 2 for 7 or 8 very good prospects wouldn't be enough to excite the fan base or jump start this team for at least a run at the Central by 2026 ? Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo. Ortiz, Beavers, Hall, Basallo, Norby, Westburg, Fabian, Bradfield, Jr., Povich, McDermott, Horvath. That's 14 guys. Take 7 of them and a couple lottery tickets and let's get this party started!

LOL. 

Question:  If Cease is all that, why trade him?  😀

• Upvote 2

Seriously, if the White Sox FO is concerned with getting a return that meets these fan expectations, the result will be the same as their previous FO got at the deadline last year -- Cease stays in Chicago.  Oddly, their fans somehow believe the cost should be higher than what was offered at the deadline last year.  Totally illogical.  I think we should be talking to Houston about Valdez, and I'm guessing that we are.  Valdez is the better fit for us anyway.

• Upvote 1

No one seems to be interested in Shane Bieber.  The cost should be relatively low because he’s a one year rental and he missed a huge chunk of last season.  He’s lost something off his fastball and his strikeout numbers have plummeted BUT he still put up 200 innings with a 2.87 FIP in 2022 with the same fastball velocity as he had in 2023.   He came back and made his last two starts of the season in September.   I’d rather pay the lower prospect price and take the risk on Bieber.   I still think there’s a lot of upside with a full season of a healthy Bieber.   

• Upvote 1

Holy Cow!!! Ninety-five pages on Cease. Let the CWS have Cease. Unlike the CWS, we have gotten to where we are by being smart. I'm at the point where I'm inclinded to run with what we have and see where we are at the trade deadline unless Elias can buy a decent FA or acquire one in a balanced trade. Giving up the farm for Cease is ridiculous IMHO. We have depth in the infield but have an outfield approaching FA status in a year or two. Let someone else over-pay for Cease if they are so inclinded..