Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's going to be hard to acquire #1-3 pitcher if you aren't willing to sign expensive free agents or trade guys.

Agree.  Kinda think they aren’t going to.  I think the whole acquiring a #1-#3 is an OH fantasy/fabrication.  I mean, what else would we talk about?  

Edited by emmett16

Has this been posted before?

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/could-this-orioles-trade-package-land-white-sox-ace-cease-brad9

Discusses a proposal that “Chicago White Sox trade Dylan Cease to the Baltimore Orioles for Joey Ortiz, Kyle Stowers, Justin Armbruester, Trace Bright, and Jud Fabian” and opines that “[t]his package is something that Chicago should jump all over.”

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/could-this-orioles-trade-package-land-white-sox-ace-cease-brad9

Discusses a proposal that “Chicago White Sox trade Dylan Cease to the Baltimore Orioles for Joey Ortiz, Kyle Stowers, Justin Armbruester, Trace Bright, and Jud Fabian” and opines that “[t]his package is something that Chicago should jump all over.”

Thoughts?

Works for me.  Would hate to give up Bright, but think he’ll ultimately end up in the pen.  Ortiz & Stowers are legit MLB ready talent.  Fabian & Bright are high end lottery tickets, Ambruester is a solid  throw in.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that SI is a dim shade of what it once was and what it once was wasn't all that impressive in the first place.

Also I don't see a quantity over quality deal like that getting it done.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thoughts?

I'd do that. You should post that on the White Sox board and see their reaction. 😄

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thoughts?

Haha. Written by an Oriole fan.  That’s a quantity deal.   We only lose one top ten prospect.   Good luck floating that on the WS board.   More power to Elias if he can pull that off.   That’s not to say that Ortiz couldn’t be a solid everyday SS and they might hit on 1 or 2 of the others but there are a lot of long shots in there.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My thoughts are that SI is a dim shade of what it once was and what it once was wasn't all that impressive in the first place.

Also I don't see a quantity over quality deal like that getting it done.

What about the Swimsuit issues?

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha. Written by an Oriole fan.  That’s a quantity deal.   We only lose one top ten prospect.   Good luck floating that on the WS board.   More power to Elias if he can pull that off.   That’s not to say that Ortiz couldn’t be a solid everyday SS and they might hit on 1 or 2 of the others but there are a lot of long shots in there.

It's not like Cease is peak Scherzer or Randy Johnson. He had one great year and is.coming off a meh year. I think he is a solid target but he is not worth much more than Ortiz. I could see Ortiz over the next year outperforming Cease's WAR the next two years although it's not a sure thing at all.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thoughts?

Feels like a "this deal works in Trade Simulator, now I will write an article about it." Not a bad deal though. About what the Os should offer but White Sox may be looking for Mayo.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

It's not like Cease is peak Scherzer or Randy Johnson. He had one great year and is.coming off a meh year. I think he is a solid target but he is not worth much more than Ortiz. I could see Ortiz over the next year outperforming Cease's WAR the next two years although it's not a sure thing at all.

His meh year was still pretty good on a really bad team.  Pitchers worse than him are signing for 16-20M.   Cease only costs 8-9M this year.   He hasn’t missed a start in 3 years.   You don’t want him, fine.   He has value.   I guess we’ll find out what the market is eventually but I don’t think that package gets it done.