What are your offensive expectations for Westburg if given regular playing time in 2024?

Frobby

Westburg is one of the more interesting/tougher guys to predict. I don't think we know exactly what type of player he is yet. He did a good job not being an absolute zero at the ML level in his first taste, unlike Cowser. In some ways, it reminded me of Vavra in his first stint. They both went out and kept above water and contributed enough with the bat and had positional versatility. 

I had hoped to see more power from Westburg, maybe a few more doubles. He has the JJ Hardy rip a liner down the the LF line kind of thing right now. Now he needs the JJ Hardy pull-side HR power. 

I loved his defense at 2B. That was surprising. 

His ABs were fine and he didn't look scared. 

I think he's probably a very good starting 2B on a lot of clubs, but he's not a MOO bat or a big WAR guy. But I would absolutely move on from Urias because of Westburg, regardless of where Ortiz fits. 

I think a mid-700 OPS is about the best we should expect next season, which is a fine MLer as long as we're not depending on his bat. 

Edited by interloper

My guess is something like .270/.340/430. I think he’ll have more power than last year, at least more extra base hits. He drives the ball well and uses the entire field. I like him a lot, just how professional he is and the way he grinds. 

I believe in him as he really impressed me with his work ethic in the few times I got to see his pregame work. (What he did no the field anyway.) He and Gunnar really work hard.

I was not a fan of his work at 2B early, but he worked really hard to be average there. That is not a slight of him. He still isn’t the most graceful athletic guy there, but he’ll be solid. I like him better at 3B long term, despite the arm concerns.

I have not seen Ortiz much, other than a few highlights and a few minor games streamed. Like everyone here, I’ve read a lot of glowing reports from people I trust. I would like to see the Orioles start the year with 2B Ortiz, SS Henderson and 3B Westburg. Mayo may be the 3B of the future, and Holliday will be there somewhere in the next year, but for 2024 I think this is the way I would go with the current roster. Urias fell off quite a bit last year with the bat, and Mateo is what he is. Henderson may be the only one of the three I want to see start guaranteed to not be traded, and he deserves to be the everyday SS for as long as that is what is best for the team. That kid posts up everyday and leads the way. He’s a star, and a winner. Every other player listed is yet unproven or strictly a role player. 

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

.270/.340/430

That’s about what I expect.  Maybe a bit lower OBP and a bit higher SLG.

They were fine with Urias at 3B.  So I think they’ll be comfortable with Westburg there too. He’s not as light on his feet as others for 2B but the reflexes and soft hands fit well at 3B.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Malike said:

.255/.320/.425. Westburg had a BABIP of .336 and yet didn't really hit that well. His 1.1 fWAR was mostly tied to his defense this year. I expect he will be a ~2 win player next year. 

I think overall Westburg was a little less selective than I expected and I think he’ll get more selective with experience.  I’d be pretty satisfied with your projection even though I projected him a smidge higher (.270/.325/.450) in the OP.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think overall Westburg was a little less selective than I expected and I think he’ll get more selective with experience.  I’d be pretty satisfied with your projection even though I projected him a smidge higher (.270/.325/.450) in the OP.

I agree, I do think he's an everyday player and will be nice piece, I don't think he's going to be a 4 win player, and that's okay. It wouldn't shock me if his slugging % is higher than I've projected. He's a good problem to have.

• Upvote 1