On Base Percentage

LookinUp

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Either way, these guys posted +40 points or more in the minors over guys on our ML roster now. I expect some regression for sure, but this team will be different after moving on from a lot of these guys.

Agreed.  It's more about the direction than degree.  And it's not just a passive/empty OBP for these guys either.  Still questions for sure, but it's a really good starting point for the next few years.

From 2009 to 2018 the Oriole standard bearer was Adam “swing at anything that doesn’t swing at you first” Jones, and I think the rest of the team took their cues from him. I remember one fan fest (sigh) where a number of questions to Showalter and Duquette were about why the team didn’t have more guys who could work the count and take a walk now and then. The brain trust on stage essentially threw up their hands as if such minutia was unimportant or out of their hands. 

Even when we (accidentally?) signed a guy like Hyun-soo Kim who could get on base at a reasonable clip it appeared management didn’t know what to do with him. They’d have rather sent him down to the minors where he wouldn’t embarrass our stars by refraining from chasing every outside slider in the dirt. 

God bless Elias and Sig for changing the organizational culture. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Folks that are potentially getting replaced MiLB #s v. MLB #s

Santander .325   .307

Hays  .326   .314

Mountcastle   .327   .319

O'Hearn   .356   .300

Fazier   .358   .331 (just for comparison's sake)

Urias   .379   .330

Mateo   .325   .270

So that’s an average differential of about 31 points for this group, ranging from 8 to 55.

But remember, these are guys who actually managed to stick in the majors.  There’s a whole other class of guys who put up decent minor league numbers but never were able to gain any traction at all in the majors.  Hopefully nobody in the OP falls into that category, but you never know. 

I’d love to see a bunch of .350+ OBP guys in the top 6 or so slots in our lineup.  That would be fun to watch.  

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So that’s an average differential of about 31 points for this group, ranging from 8 to 55.

But remember, these are guys who actually managed to stick in the majors.  There’s a whole other class of guys who put up decent minor league numbers but never were able to gain any traction at all in the majors.  Hopefully nobody in the OP falls into that category, but you never know. 

I’d love to see a bunch of .350+ OBP guys in the top 6 or so slots in our lineup.  That would be fun to watch.  

It's interesting how close Santander, Hays, and Mountcastle were in the minors and at the MLB level.  It's nice to see all the prospects & recent additions are starting with ~.050 head start (MiLB #s) compared to those three.   Makes a trade pretty darn palatable.  It would almost be surprising not to see Santander traded.