O's should address the problem they have....

wildcard

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

Relievers are more volatile than starters, I just don’t think that should be a spot they put a lot of resources into. 

My personal take would be to trade for Gilbert from Seattle and sign Montgomery. Gilbert has 3 more years of control and we have the pieces to get him without hurting the big league club too much. Montgomery is very consistent, left handed, and has played in the AL East. He’ll be expensive, but anyone who says the O’s don’t have the room in payroll for it has been suckling the teet of John Angelos’ propaganda machine. 

What makes you think that the Mariners are trading Gilbert?

Montgomery is project to get 150m.   You really think the O's are going to do that?

13 minutes ago, oriole said:

Agree 100%. Kremer is a great 6th starter and he’d get a lot of starts over the course of the season. But there’s room for better so there’s no reason not to do it.

Kremer went 13-5 in 172 IP and you think he is a #6?    What teams are you watching that do that?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Severino, Montas and Turnball are all coming off injuries.    Do you have any information that says they will have healthy seasons next year?

Gray's market seems white hot.  We saw what happen to the O's in that kind of market last year.

Cease and Bieber is going to cost 6 years of prospects that could help the O's.    I really don't see much of a surplus in prospects at this point.

I don't have a feel for what the Mariners would want.  But I bet it will not be cheap.

You have Means and Rodriguez pencilled in for 30+ starts. What information do you have that says they stay healthy? And why bank on health for a guy (Martinez) who missed four seasons from 2018-2021? He couldn’t make more than 40 pitches in an appearance for the last three months of 2022.

Those three guys all have injury concerns, yes. But the first two are expected to be on one year deals. I’d rather commit $10-$15M on those guys than $22M on a 34 year old Martinez. 

If they strike out on Gray and trades this offseason. I’d like to see them go this route, assess at the deadline, and use their ammo then.

59 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Other than Norby and Stowers who is blocked?

I'd say Ortiz is blocked as well Holliday, until they do something with Urias and Mateo. They also currently have zero openings in the OF and "technically" at DH where O'Hearn is #1 on the depth chart. I'd prefer to see them trade some of the veterans, to fill their pitching needs, but if they can get a youngish / controllable pitcher I'd be perfectly fine with parting with some of our young hitting depth. All those scenarios sound better to me than gambling on a guy who was recently banished to the Japanese League for four years because he couldn't cut it in MLB. I also don't wan to see Wells used as a starter. I want him exclusively in the bullpen and preferably as the closer unless they sign someone with more experience. And yes Rodriguez and Bradish is potentially a great one two punch, but until Rodriguez in particular shows that level of performance for a full season I think the team would be silly to bank on it. They need another solid arm in the rotation and it should be someone who's an upgrade over Gibson. 

37 minutes ago, oriole said:

Relievers are more volatile than starters, I just don’t think that should be a spot they put a lot of resources into. 

My personal take would be to trade for Gilbert from Seattle and sign Montgomery. Gilbert has 3 more years of control and we have the pieces to get him without hurting the big league club too much. Montgomery is very consistent, left handed, and has played in the AL East. He’ll be expensive, but anyone who says the O’s don’t have the room in payroll for it has been suckling the teet of John Angelos’ propaganda machine. 

Are you prepared to trade Gunnar Henderson? Because that's who the Mariner's are going to ask for if we call about Gilbert or Kirby and it really wouldn't be that outlandish of an ask. Gilbert and Kirby are unrealistic pipe dreams and I'm not sure their names continue to get brought up on these message board as realistic trade targets. 

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Are you prepared to trade Gunnar Henderson? Because that's who the Mariner's are going to ask for if we call about Gilbert or Kirby and it really wouldn't be that outlandish of an ask. Gilbert and Kirby are unrealistic pipe dreams and I'm not sure their names continue to get brought up on these message board as realistic trade targets. 

I said in another thread that Santander/Cowser/Westburg could be a good place to start. Maybe we’d have to add in some minor pieces but it’s not going to take Henderson. That’s just silly.

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

I said in another thread that Santander/Cowser/Westburg could be a good place to start. Maybe we’d have to add in some minor pieces but it’s not going to take Henderson. That’s just silly.

It's not silly at all. And you can't just keep adding players to a trade to try and even it out. A team that's trying to contend isn't going to value quantity over quality. Neither Cowser or Westburg demonstrated that they are MLB ready players last season. And it's very rare that a good young controllable starting pitcher is traded and if I'm giving one up and trying to contend I would want a good young proven bat in return. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

How many teams have two #1 for the next 5 years like GRod and Bradish?

Lots of others already responded to you already here with similar things to what I might say. But here's my version:

I think GRod/Bradish definitely might be a top duo in the league for years to come. But you just can't assume that will happen every year. 2023 may have been Bradish's peak. Even if Grayson has ace years in his future, he might stay an inconsistent 4.x ERA guy for a while longer as he develops. These guys are early in their career and it's just very hard to predict where things go with pitchers. And that's before you even consider the health angle that many people have brought up. 

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I love both those guys, but this is premature. GRod had an ERA of, what, 4.70 on the year (much better in the second half). He could easily sophomore slump. There's a good chance that was Bradish's career year. It wouldn't shock me if he was more of a 3.50-3.70 guy going forward.

At a minimum, you have to operate on the assumption that these things could happen, even though we hope they don’t.