Is Luzardo a realistic target?

Frobby

A trade will also allow them to get a player that fits them financially going forward. They will be looking at players who are younger than the current group of free agents (all 30+ years old) and with multiple years of team control left. They have been rumored to be interested in names like Dylan Cease(27) of the Chicago White Sox, Jesus Lazardo(26) of the Miami Marlins and Tarik Skubal(27) of the Detroit Tigers.

Skubal is a new name.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/mlb-winter-meetings-baltimore-orioles-potential-trade/46040878?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot#

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree, I prefer Luzardo & Burnes over Cease. 

Luzardo makes the most sense because the Marlins would be looking for players at the MLB level now. We could trade that then use our prospects to fill holes. 

The Marlins found some successful LH RP, but their RH RP is thin. 

Would they turn down Luzardo for Santa, Urias, Mateo, Webb/Baker?  Those are a lot of “win now” pieces for them. 

Cease is going to cost us one of Mayo, Basallo, Westburg, or Cowser. As the center piece. I’d rather deal with a team looking at Santa. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Luzardo makes the most sense because the Marlins would be looking for players at the MLB level now. We could trade that then use our prospects to fill holes. 

The Marlins found some successful LH RP, but their RH RP is thin. 

Would they turn down Luzardo for Santa, Urias, Mateo, Webb/Baker?  Those are a lot of “win now” pieces for them. 

Cease is going to cost us one of Mayo, Basallo, Westburg, or Cowser. As the center piece. I’d rather deal with a team looking at Santa. 

If you were them would you trade Luzardo for Santander, Urias, Mateo, and Baker? I’m not sure Mateo has any value. Santander has value but it’s in an extension. Urias is a solid MLB player. Baker is a so-so RP that may be good or bad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

We could also trade our comp pick A for their comp pick B. 30ish slots in the draft if one of that tier of Norby/Stowers/Povich/Mcdermott/Johnson doesn’t work. 

Comp picks can be traded. I can actually see Elias trading depth for a comp pick before OD. 

Luzardo + Comp Pick B for Santa, Urias, Mateo/Webb(out of options), comp pick A.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

It was tossed out there (along with Luzardo) in that Ken Rosenthal piece a couple of days ago.  But that was just Rosenthal hypothesizing, not reporting an actual discussion.  

A Luzardo trade would start with someone like Westburg and Norby or Cowser... players with upside and multiple years control. Don't think the Orioles I don't think the Orioles offering players on their last year of control/ Orioles scraps for 3 years of Luzardo is going to get the Marlins to stay on the phone

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I mentioned Skubal in a thread early in the off-season and was told that he is definitely not available. This is interesting though... I absolutely want a lefty. (If not, why did the wall get pushed back?) I would rate him slightly ahead of Luzardo and way ahead of guys like Sandoval and Lucchesi.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If you were them would you trade Luzardo for Santander, Urias, Mateo, and Baker? I’m not sure Mateo has any value. Santander has value but it’s in an extension. Urias is a solid MLB player. Baker is a so-so RP that may be good or bad. 

It's as silly of a proposal as mine. Just in the other way. You have to give up value to get a bona fide TOR LHSP with 3 years of control. I think one of Kjerstad or Basallo (I was too rich when I said both, admittedly) has to go plus some other interesting pieces who are ready to jump to MLB like Ortiz, Norby, Povich... then maybe mix in a couple of low-value guys like Stowers, Urias, Matteo, etc.

So, something like Kjerstad, Ortiz, Stowers, and Urias... plus like a Jean Pinto to add an arm. I think that's a fair deal.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Orange said:

I mentioned Skubal in a thread early in the off-season and was told that he is definitely not available. This is interesting though... I absolutely want a lefty. (If not, why did the wall get pushed back?) I would rate him slightly ahead of Luzardo and way ahead of guys like Sandoval and Lucchesi.

The wall got pushed back because it was too easy to hit home runs.  RH pitchers give up a lot of home runs to RH hitters too.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I like him. Someone posted that he and Coloumbe had the best soft contact and Barrel rates in MLB. Quintana is another guy I’ve been suggesting. I think we can find a less expensive regular season SP option than Luzardo/Cease or a FA. Or just go with Wells. The time to get a playoff SP is the deadline. 

A Kimbrel signing would tell me that we’re out on Luzardo, and Cease. Wells as a SP. Why give up one of Westburg, Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Cowser, or Kjerstad? I wouldn’t doubt if Santander, Urias, and Ortiz, was our actual best offer.

Kimbrel as closer puts us where we were at the end of September. Wells should be able to build upon his really strong 1st half by able to go another 30-50 IP as a strong SP. I’d feel comfortable if we added Robertson too.

The time to get aggressive is at the deadline. I doubt Elias and Co. chose Flaherty over Montgomery. Seems like his hands were tied over Montgomery costing more money the rest of the way. $4 million ish. Elias just knows what to expect this deadline and to leave himself some wiggle room. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A Kimbrel signing would tell me that we’re out on Luzardo, and Cease. Wells as a SP. Why give up one of Westburg, Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Cowser, or Kjerstad? I wouldn’t doubt if Santander, Urias, and Ortiz, was our actual best offer.

Kimbrel as closer puts us where we were at the end of September. Wells should be able to build upon his really strong 1st half by able to go another 30-50 IP as a strong SP. I’d feel comfortable if we added Robertson too.

The time to get aggressive is at the deadline. I doubt Elias and Co. chose Flaherty over Montgomery. Seems like his hands were tied over Montgomery costing more money the rest of the way. $4 million ish. Elias just knows what to expect this deadline and to leave himself some wiggle room. 

None of us know anything and debate is fun and all, but these are some really strong, unique opinions.

Signing a RP takes us out of the high end SP market because it frees up Wells to start, but we should also sign Robertson?

Montgomery was likely vetoed over $4m and not because Elias didn’t want to part with the prospects it would cost? If the Os are doling out $10m to Gibson and $8m to Frazier, they’re giving Montgomery $4m for two months.

They may end up relying on Wells/Hall or a bargain vet as a #5 SP this year, but they’ve clearly stated they’d rather pursue a TOR guy. Assuming you can get that guy for less than 3 years in FA or less than the Cowser tier in prospects is just not realistic. I think they’re absolutely still in on Cease and will turn to Luzardo/Skuball or someone else if they miss out.

• Upvote 1