Is the bullpen set?

Sports Guy

Players we know are definitely in the pen on OD barring injury or an unexpected trade:

Kimbrel, Cano, DC, Perez

Players that are very likely in the pen but it’s not definite:

Tate, Wells, Webb, Irvin

And then there is Hall…he is up in the air in terms of his role. If he starts, he’s likely in AAA to start the season.  If he’s a reliever, he’s in the OD bullpen.

So that gives us 8 guys plus Hall. Obviously the pen will be 

We also have Baumann, Baker, Akin and Vespi to compete and come up if needed.

While I’m sure the Orioles will sign some cheap MiL FAs and you never know who emerges from that or from the minors, I think our pen is basically set in terms of choosing from what is already here.

I would still like to see them sign Stephenson and not worry about Webb or Tate but I doubt that happens.

“I think having Kimbrel signed now and official, we could still bolster our bullpen with trades or free-agent signings and we’ll be continuing to explore that, but it definitely puts us in a mindset of a little more comfort with what we have there. … We’re able to turn our attention to this vast starting pitching market, the possibilities, and chip away at those conversations.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-on-kimbrel-i-think-it-s-a-great-deal-for-all-sides

• Thanks 1

They won't add anybody this offseason of enough consequence to bury any of the top guys listed above, but they'll still be adding guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made trades in Spring Training.  They've done that in the bullpen for the last two springs.  They scout ST and target guys.

Yup.

(1) Craig Kimbrel, (2) Yennier Cano, (3) Tyler Wells, (4) DL Hall, (5) Danny Coloumbe, (6) Cionel Perez, (7) Dillon Tate

Bubble Shuttle Guys: (1) Jacob Webb, (2) Mike Baumann, (3) Cole Irvin, (4) Bryan Baker, (5) Keegan Akin, (6) Nick Vespi, (7) others

It's nice that the latter group of semi-competent relievers is ticketed for Norfolk and only relied upon after injuries and underperformance. A few years ago that would be our bullpen. 

Now find a starter. 

4 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Yup.

(1) Craig Kimbrel, (2) Yennier Cano, (3) Tyler Wells, (4) DL Hall, (5) Danny Coloumbe, (6) Cionel Perez, (7) Dillon Tate

Bubble Shuttle Guys: (1) Jacob Webb, (2) Mike Baumann, (3) Cole Irvin, (4) Bryan Baker, (5) Keegan Akin, (6) Nick Vespi, (7) others

It's nice that the latter group of semi-competent relievers is ticketed for Norfolk and only relied upon after injuries and underperformance. A few years ago that would be our bullpen. 

Now find a starter. 

I think most of those second tier guys are out of options. They can’t be stashed in Norfolk 

2 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I think most of those second tier guys are out of options. They can’t be stashed in Norfolk 

According to FanGraphs Roster Resource, the last three plus Tate have options. That provides some flexibility and injuries provide more. Irvin should be in the bullpen as he's worth keeping around. The rest: eh, if you have to DFA them so be it. Maybe they get claimed, maybe not. It doesn't really matter. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know that I'm confident Webb will be as good as he was for that stretch he had last season. I also don't know if Tate will be healthy. So those are concerns and trepedations for me.

I would feel a lot better if we got someone truly reliable like a Hector Neris.

I think Cole Irvin is right in the conversation as a starter and would be able to fill in if anything happens to John Means. People forget some of those clutch Sunday games he had in the middle of the season when he absolutely dominated and prevented us from getting sweeped.

I could see Wells either in the mix as a half-season starter or in the Bullpen in a role like Baumann had last season.

I really hope Tate is back to full health and pitches like he did in 2022. I miss that guy and alot of the bullpen moves are dependent on that factor.

They could fit in another RP, but I don’t think it will be a priority. But, in theory:

5 locks: Kimbrel, FA #2, Cano, Coulombe, Perez

3 with no options: Irvin, Webb, Baumann

Options: Wells, Hall, Tate, Baker, Akin, Vespi

Problems are (1) they are going to want to have one spot in the pen optionable to churn through AAA and (2) Wells, Hall and (healthy) Tate are all better pitchers than the 3 without options. 

Now, they could just go into Spring Training like this and say injuries will sort this out. They’re likely going to lose at least one to an injury before Opening Day. Or Wells and/or Hall will be SP, either in the rotation or in AAA. And “worst case scenario” with everyone healthy I don’t see why they wouldn’t be willing to DFA Baumann or Webb.

Having said all that, is spending significant $ on a setup guy like Stephenson or Neris worth it if they’re effectively replacing Wells or Hall? Or even small $ on that Japanese pitcher or another similar speculative add pushing out Baumann/Webb?  I don’t think either will happen, but I could see it being considered depending on how much $ they commit to SP.