MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 hour ago, TopGunnar said:

What has he done to warrant a 10 year 9 figure deal. 

That's not the point I was making. Yes, he's overpaid, but suggesting that he's the second coming of Adam Frazier is ridiculous. Xander Bogaerts has more HRs over the last three seasons than Adam Frazier has over his entire career. He's a very good player who was mistakenly paid as a great player. 

9 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

I am suggesting that he no longer needs to be concerned about his value based on the money he's getting over the next what, 10 years now?  He's no longer playing for his next contract.  And I will suggest, rightly or wrongly, that I believe that some guys on really long-term deals will become complacent as they age and not want to work as hard.

Terrible take.  99% of players that get paid feel an overwhelming stress and anxiety of living up to the payment and work even harder to prove that they are worth it. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Orioles should have been in on him!

Onley notes that the deal guarantees Hendriks $10MM, with MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand notes that the deal includes a mutual option for the 2026 season.

Edited by MDS29

1 hour ago, MDS29 said:

Orioles should have been in on him!

That’s too much to guarantee him. It could work out but I’m not upset the Os didn’t go to that level. 

I would have given something more like 2M for this year (plus incentives) and guaranteed 3-4M for 2025, with incentives.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/los-angeles-angels-3b-anthony-173004988.html

Anthony Rendon sure can't be the best teamate to have on your team.  While i can understand what he was trying to say it not a good look when you are a guy collecting a check and for a lot of the contract he doesn't seem to care enough to play in a lot of games.  

21 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/los-angeles-angels-3b-anthony-173004988.html

Anthony Rendon sure can't be the best teamate to have on your team.  While i can understand what he was trying to say it not a good look when you are a guy collecting a check and for a lot of the contract he doesn't seem to care enough to play in a lot of games.  

There is nothing wrong with what he said here.

Its the same mindset most people have with their jobs.

The issue with what he is saying is that he is an oft injured guy who misses a lot of time and you have to worry that maybe he doesn’t work as hard as possible to get back as quick as possible…or that he doesn’t play through things like other guys might.

This has been rumored about him over the years and since he got his big payday, it seems very possible that is an issue.

• Upvote 1

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/hyun-jin-ryu-discussing-contract-with-kbos-hanwha-eagles.html

Ryu has a 4 yr $12.4 million offer from a KBO team. It would seem that if we wanted him on a one year deal then that could happen. Even if it’s only a marginal upgrade over Irvin, it still kicks Irvin back to the #6 SP spot, and improves our depth. We’re one more injury away from Zimmerman, or Heasley, being our #5. 

Ryu on a 1yr/$5-6 million deal makes a lot of sense. Heck, that’s the going rate just for a decent LH RP. It’s an insurance policy that is well worth the risk. Even if he is just a 5 and dive type. Lefties play up in OPACY. 

Edited by sportsfan8703