MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

7 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Pirates To Extend Mitch Keller - MLB Trade Rumors

5 years/$77m guaranteed.  PIT bought out 2 years of arb and 3 more years.  I wouldn't be shocked if there's an option or two in that mix.  

That’s a team friendly extension. Keller must’ve wanted to stay. Seems like he could’ve played out the last two years for around $25 million total then been in line for one of the 6/150 deals that have been flying around. Or the 7/172 that Nola got. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Mitch Keller - it will be interesting to see whether the 5/77 is 2 Arb and 3 FA, or 1 Arb and 4 FA.

Eric Hosmer retired the other day.    Brandon Crawford hasn't yet I believe said anything like that, so he is perhaps a very old SS option remaining now that Amed Rosario and Tim Anderson have finally cleared.

CHW Paul DeJong and/or OAK Darell Hernaiz/Nick Allen perhaps the weakest looking 1st string shortstops for 2024 Opening Days.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Serious question: is Mitch Keller a better pitcher than Dean Kremer?  I think most O’s fans have a very good impression of Keller based on the dominant game he pitched against us last May.  But his season went significantly downhill from there.  

Pretty much everything about their careers is very similar.  They're even the same age (DK is 3 months older).  I always wonder what a guy will do the season after throwing way more innings than he's ever thrown before.  Keller cleared 194 innings last year and [SSS alert] two of his last four starts were brutal.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Serious question: is Mitch Keller a better pitcher than Dean Kremer?  I think most O’s fans have a very good impression of Keller based on the dominant game he pitched against us last May.  But his season went significantly downhill from there.  

He probably is but it’s not likely to be the huge margin people think it is in their minds.

Keller is overrated around here imo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Mitch Keller - it will be interesting to see whether the 5/77 is 2 Arb and 3 FA, or 1 Arb and 4 FA.

Eric Hosmer retired the other day.    Brandon Crawford hasn't yet I believe said anything like that, so he is perhaps a very old SS option remaining now that Amed Rosario and Tim Anderson have finally cleared.

CHW Paul DeJong and/or OAK Darell Hernaiz/Nick Allen perhaps the weakest looking 1st string shortstops for 2024 Opening Days.

The Pirates are paying around $20 million/year for his free agent years.  That's #3 starter money.  That's a lot for a pitcher who has never been more than middle of rotation starter, even though I wanted the O's to trade for him. 

Mitch Keller 4.4.1996 commanded a $1M bonus from Iowa high school in the 2014 draft, about 6 years before Carter Baumler did about the same thing.

2014 looks like the year we were out of it until the 3rd round, I believe due to the late February Ubaldo and Nelson Cruz signings.

Dean Kremer 1.7.1996 has shared in podcast he had same late growth in JuCo years to get him up to what some scouts might call Minimum Viable physicality for MLB competition.    He's a heck of a pitcher and competitor.     I doubt any of the Sigbots regard his upside potential close to Keller's.

Million-dollar Arms like Mitch Keller can do stuff like go 12-29 with a 5.00 ERA through Age 26, have one great year they put it all together, and get whole bunches of millions more.     Dean Kremer if I had to guess will not complete his full 6 years of Club control with the Orioles, but might manage 2-3 AL East championships.

Early Eclipse Alert - Orioles play in Pittsburgh Sunday April 7th, the eve of the big eclipse where Cleveland-ish the nearest compass point for totality to the Baltimore-DC area.     Maybe that game will even be Kremer v. Keller!

Tigers sign Gio Urshela to a one year, $1.5 million deal.

Seems like a bargain to me. The 32 year old was worth 6 DRS at third according to Fielding Bible in 2023. That was second best in the AL. He has a career .745 OPS and made like 8.5 million last season.

Guess he is coming off a down year with some injuries, but still. Not a bad move for a team like Detroit.

Edited by TommyPickles

3 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Tigers sign Gio Urshela to a one year, $1.5 million deal.

Seems like a bargain to me. The 32 year old was worth 6 DRS at third according to Fielding Bible in 2023. That was second best in the AL. He has a career .745 OPS and made like 8.5 million last season.

Guess he is coming off a down year with some injuries, but still. Not a bad move for a team like Detroit.

Might say something about Ramon Urias' value. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Might say something about Ramon Urias' value. 

Yea maybe. I think Urias is definitely worth more, but it may show the demand for glove-y, versatile infielders isn't that strong.

Urias is almost three years younger.  He's been worth 5.4 rWAR over the past two seasons. Urshela has been worth 3.9 WAR over the past two seasons.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Keller is much better than Kremer.