MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

It moves Bradish and Grayson one step closer to Top 10 in league status.

Gerrit, Castillo, Gausman, Kirby, Framber, GIlbert, Pablo.     Maybe Skubal or Eflin?    Cease or the young Guardians?

It won't take that many more months of top form for our guys to close a Gausman gap.

On the LTC price points for great pitchers, I've evolved to regard Gerrit Cole's present contract as 10/360 instead of 9/324.     During the winter meetings there was a reminder he has an opt-out after 2024.    He's been strong enough in the front end of the contract to use it, but the Yankees also have a countermove to neutralize the opt-out by guaranteeing a 10th year at the $36mm.

25 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It moves Bradish and Grayson one step closer to Top 10 in league status.

Gerrit, Castillo, Gausman, Kirby, Framber, GIlbert, Pablo.     Maybe Skubal or Eflin?    Cease or the young Guardians?

It won't take that many more months of top form for our guys to close a Gausman gap.

On the LTC price points for great pitchers, I've evolved to regard Gerrit Cole's present contract as 10/360 instead of 9/324.     During the winter meetings there was a reminder he has an opt-out after 2024.    He's been strong enough in the front end of the contract to use it, but the Yankees also have a countermove to neutralize the opt-out by guaranteeing a 10th year at the $36mm.

Bradish has to be well inside the top 10.  GRod has a way to go to prove he belongs.

I don't see the Orioles making any more significant moves. Both Roch and Elias has already poured cold water all over that.

There's no chance they trade for Cease for what the White Sox want. And I don't seem them paying the prices to sign a free agent starter considering how expensive they are and what you're getting for your money. We have better than Flaherty inside the organization and they're not tossing $14M at a equal or lesser starter than what we already have.

Let's just face it. The Orioles aren't willing to spend much money and they also aren't willing to give up any prospects. Elias hasn't shown any ability to make a good trade for any established players yet in his career. He goes for prospects. And Sig is a prospect hoarder.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't see the Orioles making any more significant moves. Both Roch and Elias has already poured cold water all over that.

There's no chance they trade for Cease for what the White Sox want. And I don't seem them paying the prices to sign a free agent starter considering how expensive they are and what you're getting for your money. We have better than Flaherty inside the organization and they're not tossing $14M at a equal or lesser starter than what we already have.

Let's just face it. The Orioles aren't willing to spend much money and they also aren't willing to give up any prospects. Elias hasn't shown any ability to make a good trade for any established players yet in his career. He goes for prospects. And Sig is a prospect hoarder.

Two months until pitchers and catchers report.  Three-and-a-half months until Opening Day.  Yep, time to close the book on this offseason.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I thought there was a recent rule in place that prevented trades from being contingent on a player signing a contract extension with his new team. I'd suggested we trade for Burns (I think it was Burns) w/a contract extension as part of the deal.  One of the OH regulars replied that such trade deals were no longer allowed. 

36 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I thought there was a recent rule in place that prevented trades from being contingent on a player signing a contract extension with his new team. I'd suggested we trade for Burns (I think it was Burns) w/a contract extension as part of the deal.  One of the OH regulars replied that such trade deals were no longer allowed. 

I wish. Sig doesn't want to let go of any prospects to make it happen, Angelos doesn't want to invest the money, and Elias doesn't seem interested in committing to a long term deal.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I wish. Sig doesn't want to let go of any prospects to make it happen, Angelos doesn't want to invest the money, and Elias doesn't seem interested in committing to a long term deal.

To clarify: I wish (we would trade for Burnes with the intent of negotiating an extension to keep him an Oriole). 

7 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I’ve advocated for this approach and Burnes works for me. Hopefully the new lease agreement would motivate Angelos to invest in the on field product. I know I’m probably dreaming but one can hope. 

7 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I don’t know the conversation you had, but I assume most folks just know Angelos will not be signing anyone to an extension. So why pay for an option you won’t use. 

8 hours ago, 24fps said:

Two months until pitchers and catchers report.  Three-and-a-half months until Opening Day.  Yep, time to close the book on this offseason.

I agree with Billy here. There could be six months left in the offseason, but I still don't see any major transactions that move the needle much. We are rolling with our guys. We won't pay the market price for starting pitching and we won't trade the prospects that teams are requiring. What we have is basically what we are getting. I'm hoping that playoff experience is invaluable for this year's team and for growth from the prospects. We still have a good team, I just don't think we have a great team. We have no single bat that another team would fear and we don't have that stopper yet in the rotation.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I agree with Billy here. There could be six months left in the offseason, but I still don't see any major transactions that move the needle much. We are rolling with our guys. We won't pay the market price for starting pitching and we won't trade the prospects that teams are requiring. What we have is basically what we are getting. I'm hoping that playoff experience is invaluable for this year's team and for growth from the prospects. We still have a good team, I just don't think we have a great team. We have no single bat that another team would fear and we don't have that stopper yet in the rotation.

Agreed, maybe a one Year Gibson or Lyles type, just for depth.Maybe add another strong BP piece, Keep Wells, Hall and Irvin as SP depth or Maybe roll with Well as SP from the go. Need to try and get cowser Ortiz and Kerstad some PT so they can develop (esp Ortiz) so they can increase thier trade value and be possibly used at the trade deadline for Trades

8 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

The current team has flaws like any team (even LAD).  But I’d say Gunnar is feared.  Same with Adley in a different way.  And the level of respect for the majority of the lineup is pretty good too.  Even the unproven guys aren’t empty OBP lines hoping for a walk.  The top “trio” is solid but we’re about to be 4-5 deep.

Bradish and Grayson are stoppers in the rotation.  I’d put them up against nearly any top 2.

9 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The current team has flaws like any team (even LAD).  But I’d say Gunnar is feared.  Same with Adley in a different way.  And the level of respect for the majority of the lineup is pretty good too.  Even the unproven guys aren’t empty OBP lines hoping for a walk.  The top “trio” is solid but we’re about to be 4-5 deep.

Bradish and Grayson are stoppers in the rotation.  I’d put them up against nearly any top 2.

I would disagree and say that's not true, YET. Based on the past, these are not reliable. Give them another season and they maybe true, but not yet.