MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

49 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would love to see thay happen. That would be a good fit for all involved including Mateo. He would have Miami culture and be closer to his home Dominican Republic there. 

The Orioles would be able to trade from Surpluss + move salary + open up a path for thr youngsters, all for pitching. And the Marlins would get a solid defensive shortstop + lighting fast base stealing/run manufacturing machine to fill their need. Who knows, Mateo could also go off on a huge All Star level heater like he did in the first month of the 2023 season. Never know what a change of scenery can do for a guy.

Jordan Montgomery.

How were we “in” on Nola, but aren’t tied to Montgomery at all?  I know the reports came out after the fact that we had interest in Nola, but if he was ever a possibility then Montgomery definitely should be.

Talk about a perfect fit. Playoff tested LH vet. For our ballpark. Even has a playoff start in OPACY. He was the perfect fit at the deadline and still his.

They could work the contract to where he gets 5/125ish overall, but gets less in 2024, and more in 2025 when we have Santa, Means, Kimbrel, McCann, and O’Hearn all coming off the books. As well as possibly Urias, Mateo, Hays, Mullins, and Irvin.

I know there’s raises in arb, and new players hitting arb, but we’re about to have a team mostly in pre-arb. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Jordan Montgomery.

How were we “in” on Nola, but aren’t tied to Montgomery at all?  I know the reports came out after the fact that we had interest in Nola, but if he was ever a possibility then Montgomery definitely should be.

Talk about a perfect fit. Playoff tested LH vet. For our ballpark. Even has a playoff start in OPACY. He was the perfect fit at the deadline and still his.

They could work the contract to where he gets 5/125ish overall, but gets less in 2024, and more in 2025 when we have Santa, Means, Kimbrel, McCann, and O’Hearn all coming off the books. As well as possibly Urias, Mateo, Hays, Mullins, and Irvin.

I know there’s raises in arb, and new players hitting arb, but we’re about to have a team mostly in pre-arb. 

We "checked in" on Nola. I wouldn't read anything into that or the absence of the same report with regards to Montgomery. He's not in play for the O's.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Jordan Montgomery.

I mean, I would love that.

But it ain't happening. 

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

I mean, I would love that.

But it ain't happening. 

It sucks, and I don’t know how to do a self imposed “poor team” budget, but we could do a deal with him to keep the first year down until Rubenstein gets in here and the previous players mentioned are off the books. There’s deferrals also. 

If the general framework is somewhere around 5/125 for easy math’s sake… then he could only make $10 million the first year with the other $15 million spread out over the other four years, or even some in deferrals. We basically gave Kimbrel the Gibson money from last year. We could give Montgomery the Frazier/Givens money. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It sucks, and I don’t know how to do a self imposed “poor team” budget, but we could do a deal with him to keep the first year down until Rubenstein gets in here and the previous players mentioned are off the books. There’s deferrals also. 

If the general framework is somewhere around 5/125 for easy math’s sake… then he could only make $10 million the first year with the other $15 million spread out over the other four years, or even some in deferrals. We basically gave Kimbrel the Gibson money from last year. We could give Montgomery the Frazier/Givens money. 

I think the problem is I'm not sure if he even gives the O's the chance to make that kind of proposal. Because some big market team will just instantly be able to beat all of that. From the AAV to the years to the total guaranteed, you know? 

But again, I'm with you. He's a great fit here in basically every way. 3 straight years of 30 or more starts. Exactly what we need at the top of the rotation. 

Edited by interloper

We were never IN on Nola.  Maybe we called to see if he likes crab cakes but that’s about it.

Montgomery will get a regrettable contract.

Send Mateo for whatever the Marlins will trade you. I’m ok if he starts the year here if you want Holliday down at first but if I can get something for him, he gone.

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Send Mateo for whatever the Marlins will trade you. I’m ok if he starts the year here if you want Holliday down at first but if I can get something for him, he gone.

Elias should pull a Billy Beane and trade Mateo now just so Hyde isn't tempted to give him regular ABs (ala Carlos Pena). Even if Holliday doesn't make the team Urias seems like a perfectly fine short term contingency plan. Or heck, just bank on one of Holliday or Ortiz making the OD roster. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Elias should pull a Billy Beane and trade Mateo now just so Hyde isn't tempted to give him regular ABs (ala Carlos Pena). Even if Holliday doesn't make the team Urias seems like a perfectly fine short term contingency plan. Or heck, just bank on one of Holliday or Ortiz making the OD roster. 

Elias obviously wants Mateo playing. Otherwise, he’d just call up Ortiz and ship Mateo out. 

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I would love to see thay happen. That would be a good fit for all involved including Mateo. He would have Miami culture and be closer to his home Dominican Republic there. 

The Orioles would be able to trade from Surpluss + move salary + open up a path for thr youngsters, all for pitching. And the Marlins would get a solid defensive shortstop + lighting fast base stealing/run manufacturing machine to fill their need. Who knows, Mateo could also go off on a huge All Star level heater like he did in the first month of the 2023 season. Never know what a change of scenery can do for a guy.

And how exactly would the bolded part help the Marlins? Also, it's a bit hard to steal bases when you don't get on base or hit. Also, the Marlins already have their own version of Mateo in Jon Berti. 

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Change of swing might do him better ;) 

We fans seem to be great at articulating why our guys would be perfect fits for other teams.   When we have to make a case why our guy would be so much better off "not here", there's likely a reason that guy is still here.  

I like to think about it this way....would any of us want to actually trade someone decent from our system to acquire Mateo if he wasn't here?