MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

Stephenson was one of biggest pitching question marks of the off season imo.  He has great with Rays for half season but how much would that get him. Apparently 3/33 from the Angels.  It could be steal or disaster imo, but since Angels did it I will point to disaster like most their free agent signings.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Turns out Astros weren’t pinching pennies.  Makes me wonder about their intentions for wanting to trade Framber.  My off-season pipe dream was Hader.  Oh well. 

They are close to the 2nd luxury tax penalty level and they’ve never paid the tax before.  Maybe they move someone to get the payroll back down.  Maybe not.

• Upvote 1

I just hope that whatever we do doesn't turn into an Ibaldo Jimenz where we throw money at a last ditch reasonable hope for a SP and get stuck with a contract to pay for a sack of balls.  I think Elias has a plan and JA continues to play poor, so I doubt it; but I still hope there's not a move just as a show of, "Look, we're doing something."

Montgomery would not be in that class.  Still my personal hope that he's the target.

3 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I just hope that whatever we do doesn't turn into an Ibaldo Jimenz where we throw money at a last ditch reasonable hope for a SP and get stuck with a contract to pay for a sack of balls.  I think Elias has a plan and JA continues to play poor, so I doubt it; but I still hope there's not a move just as a show of, "Look, we're doing something."

Montgomery would not be in that class.  Still my personal hope that he's the target.

How can someone have any hope that Jordan Montgomery is a possibility?   It’s early but splash some cold water on your face and wake up.

• Haha 1

Jordan Montgomery felt like a great fit this past summer, but I don't have much interest in buying the Superman he's trying to sell.    Yankee tears are fun, and I do think Montgomery had a little ax to grind after Brian Cashman basically judged him a Kyle Gibson-Dean Kremer type pitcher, but overall I think he'll be one of the weaker pitchers who hold the ~5/120 kind of contract.      He wasn't that hot against us during the sweep.

I did notice both Tekoah Roby and Thomas Saggese in the back 50 of one of the recent Top 100 lists, so the price was expensive.

The '23 Rangers bought a championship perhaps as tidily as anyone, but they deployed a lot of money and future Wins to do so.     There's value to trying hard, including with future surplus value and cash.

Yankees signed Luke Weaver for more or less the Jake Taylor veteran minimum as they replenish some depth.     Here's Szymborski on the back of the Yankees rotation, perhaps for this moment as thin as the Orioles if one of the Top 5 guys become unavailable, as they certainly will at some point.

Who the Yankees turn to if injuries hit is a concern. Clayton Beeter is next on our depth chart and ZiPS is not at all enthused by the possibility of him being the de facto sixth starter. It likes Chase Hampton a lot, but I doubt the team will be that aggressive promoting him in 2024, and the computer only likes Will Warren incrementally more than Beeter. If ZiPS is correct, the Yankees better pray that they don’t end up with that many innings from Luke Weaver. While they have missed out on some of the starters they’ve gone after, they could certainly make another low-key addition or two. When running sims for 2024, everything blew up pretty quickly in the ones where the projected starters got a lot fewer innings than expected, giving the rotation a fairly low floor for a team with a good overall projection.

An enjoyable one from a Fangraphs commenter on the Astros' Hader win.      

I love how the Astros lose a high leverage reliever and immediately the GM goes out and says as loud as possible “we’re not going to panic!” And the owner panics within a day or two and gives Hader the contract he has been looking for all along. I suppose there are worse owners to work for but it’s so obvious when Dana Brown is getting overruled like that.

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

An enjoyable one from a Fangraphs commenter on the Astros' Hader win.      

I love how the Astros lose a high leverage reliever and immediately the GM goes out and says as loud as possible “we’re not going to panic!” And the owner panics within a day or two and gives Hader the contract he has been looking for all along. I suppose there are worse owners to work for but it’s so obvious when Dana Brown is getting overruled like that.

I do not think "terrible owner" means what this commenter thinks it means lol.