MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Yeah I don't agree. It's a subtle misrepresentation of what he is and who he works for. Sure everyone on OH knows that MASN employees works for the Orioles, but the casual fan not so much. Roch basically issues Orioles press releases or has "opinions" that I'm sure are vetted and approved by the team. Defining that as reporting or him as reporting just isn't accurate. So yeah, I think it does matter and that's my only issue with him. 

Fair enough, but if you don't think that newspaper reporters and reporters on TV don't have their stuff vetted and approved by some sort of higher up, then I don't know what to tell you.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fair enough, but if you don't think that newspaper reporters and reporters on TV don't have their stuff vetted and approved by some sort of higher up, then I don't know what to tell you.

I get your point, but I think there's a difference between actual news and a paid infomercial. Roch's basically the Shamwow guy. 

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Roch gets a bad wrap and I also think he’s in a very tough position to be in. 

IMO I also think it's the position he likes being in. I think he couldn't care less about the baseball journalism "thing" and everything that goes with it. He's fine in his role. Although that doesn't stop him from complaining about it in blog posts lol. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

IMO I also think it's the position he likes being in. I think he couldn't care less about the baseball journalism "thing" and everything that goes with it. He's fine in his role. Although that doesn't stop him from complaining about it in blog posts lol. 

Huh?  He doesn’t care about being a baseball journalist?  WTF is that supposed to mean?  You think he doesn’t want to do his job? That he doesn’t like writing about the Os?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Huh?  He doesn’t care about being a baseball journalist?  WTF is that supposed to mean?  You think he doesn’t want to do his job? That he doesn’t like writing about the Os?

Sorry if that was confusing. I was drawing a distinction between being a MASN quasi-journalist (i.e.: being like 70/30 mouthpiece/journalist) versus the twitter warrior baseball journos at Athletic or proper news outlets who are grinding for rumors and climbing over each other to break news. I'm just saying Roch seems like he's over all that and is happy to write about the O's in his corner of the internet. 

Regarding the complaining, I was just making a joke about how he often groans about game length, going to spring training, etc. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sorry if that was confusing. I was drawing a distinction between being a MASN quasi-journalist (i.e.: being like 70/30 mouthpiece/journalist) versus the twitter warrior baseball journos at Athletic or proper news outlets who are grinding for rumors and climbing over each other to break news. I'm just saying Roch seems like he's over all that and is happy to write about the O's in his corner of the internet. 

Regarding the complaining, I was just making a joke about how he often groans about game length, going to spring training, etc. 

Proper news outlets.  LOL.  That's adorable.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

JA hasn't done much, I agree.  I'm not defending him, he's been by and large a bad owner...or a sitting owner, or whatever his role is.  But I literally have seen people blame him for things on here such as food prices at the stadium which is silly.  

The Astros have taken on payroll in ways outside of free agency, the key words here being "taken on payroll".  I don't think the Orioles will anytime particularly soon.

I know we want a Verlander/Cole type but I think everyone here is going to be sorely disappointed when we don't get one.  I'm just going off patterns and what I've seen.

I’ve blamed him for understaffing which is a major problem. In regards to concession pricing it’s my general feeling that they try to make up revenue on concessions that they give away with free kids tickets, $13 nights, etc. You can disagree but I’m certain he’s signing off on that kind of stuff. Even if it’s the idea of someone else internally.

Ive seen Cole mentioned but I don’t think the majority of people expect that. I don’t think a young starter with 4 or more years of control is out of the question. We have the resources to make a deal and IMO it’s Elias job to find a way to get it accomplished….not to claim they weren’t aware of pricing and then lower expectations multiple times. It’s just horse shite! They should’ve resigned Gibson if they weren’t going to get an upgrade. 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Most of those other journalists are living paycheck to paycheck or are always endanger of losing their job.

Roch is solid and despite what people think, I’m sure he likes knowing he has a steady paycheck coming in, just like anyone else’s would.

There are seemingly only a few guys who get the real scoops.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Most of those other journalists are living paycheck to paycheck or are always endanger of losing their job.

Roch is solid and despite what people think, I’m sure he likes knowing he has a steady paycheck coming in, just like anyone else’s would.

I agree, and yeah that's all I was saying. He's fine where he is, or he wouldn't have been doing it this long. 

And honestly, he's a better color guy than Brad Brach or Mike Devereaux. Man that was a rough stretch of games... 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I should have just said "self-described news outlets". MASN is not a self-described news outlet. 

Other than finding out about a trade an hour before the general public because they have contacts in the League's Office, what "investigative reporting" do you really expect from a baseball writer?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yeah, Heyman, Rosenthal, and the two insiders on the WS board.  🤭