Elias talks Stowers

Sports Guy

I like Stowers. Would be very nice to see him part of the youth movement and contribute to offense and defense. Just get that feeling he might find himself as a sweetener in a trade where his absence in this org is more palatable than others and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he emerges in 2025 (on another team) as a quality player. Could be though that this timing here doesn't quite match up with what we need at the major league level.

3 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Using Tony’s language, he seems like his ceiling is second division starter, which certainly has value. Wonder what other teams see as his value.

Not quite. The last time Stowers was in Tony's top prospect list was in 2021. There, Tony said his ceiling was a starting outfielder and occasional all star. I'd wager Tony still believes in the power and OBP. Ok enough in a corner OF position. A lot of k's. So maybe, at this point, the ceiling is second division starter. Still, that power is legit and kind of built for Camden Yards.

https://orioleshangout.com/2021/11/02/7-kyle-stowers/

This annoys me because he said all this last week at the meetings and I already watched the video of him say all this from the MASN account lol. Reality of having to post a daily blog I guess. 

There's no realistic room for Stowers unless they trade an outfielder or two. 

Edited by interloper

Some interesting info here...

- I didn't know that Stowers got beaned in the face last year.  On top of the shoulder injury.

- Sounds like other teams were just dismissing Stowers like many here do.  "Lost season"

- Elias isn't dismissing him.  "Quietly had a good year"

- "Stowers played in 68 games with Triple-A Norfolk, injuries robbing him of more at- bats, and had nine doubles, a triple, 17 home runs, 49 RBIs, 40 walks, a .364 on-base percentage and a .511 slugging percentage."

It sounds like teams they we have to just give guys away, but we can have depth.  Nothing is forcing our hand.  It's not some travesty if Cowser, Norby, Ortiz, Kjerstad, and Stowers begin the year in AAA.  I call that achieving the goal of having a farm system that you can dip into for depth as needed.  That's how you consistently compete for the playoffs/division over 162 games.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

This article kind of felt like Roch was instructed to put out a Stowers hype piece because they want to trade him.  I don't know if that is a real thing or if it would work but thats what I felt like I was reading. 

That is exactly what I thought when I read the article.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’d also be a good fallback option for us if we trade other OFers and “have to” use him.

Absolutely.   I noticed that ZiPS was pretty high on Stowers - .729 OPS median projection, higher than Kjerstad’s .713 or Cowser’s .707.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I’ve been in a mild state of sports depression since Wednesday. Angry and disappointed at what felt like, for me personally, the worst Orioles loss of my life time. But as I drove up to my house today, I looked at my Orioles flag, and I felt love. Love for the Orioles and love for the guys on this team. I remember getting a little emotional in 2018 when the previous core got blown up. I wondered if I’d be as invested with a new cropping of players. Well dammit, I ride with these dudes. I believe in them. They’re young, they’re talented, they play for each other. Growth is often not linear. Maybe Hyde can adjust, maybe he can’t. There’s plenty of questions now   It’s going to be long wait. And I have no idea if this team capitalizes on their potential. But I’ll be rooting for it. Because I love Baltimore, I love the Orioles, and I love these guys. I still don’t want to take down my flag just yet…. Go O’s! 
    • This is fun. From Autoplay on Spotify.  
    • Yeah, it really is interesting because when I watch Lowe in regular season games, he (like many of the Tampa hitters) has quality at-bats and is very tough to get out. I have always thought of him as a really solid player and I actually feel bad for him because that kind of narrative comes to define you as a player for a lot of fans.....especially your own fanbase and especially when they have never won the whole thing. The good news is the narrative can change quickly, but you really do have to come through at some point to help your team win the title. Even though it was just one game and one series, I think Game 5 of the 1983 World Series was extremely important to Eddie Murray's legacy given it was on the heels of an 0-21 streak ending the 1979 series and 2-16 heading into that final game in Philly.   
    • If we have the money to sign him, he would absolutely be my #1 target, ahead of Burnes and Soto. 
    • Yeah, that game was amazing. The precursor to that was on Monday in Atlanta in Game 1 of the DH. The Mets had a 6-3 lead going to the bottom of the 8th and the Braves scored 4, topped off by an Albies bases loaded double.  So they went to the 9th down 7-6 after a really disheartening inning. Then Lindor hit a 2-run homer in the top of the 9th and the Mets ended up winning 8-7, which sent them to the playoffs.  When you do something like that, it can really build confidence and I think it helped them a lot last night. There is no way the Os would have been capable of either of the comebacks the Mets just pulled off, but it was really outstanding to watch.  Having guys like Lindor and Alonso really helps!  Philly is going to have their hands full with these Mets.
    • What would O’Hearn get if he does become a free agent?  He doesn’t hit for ton of power, decent runner but not lot of speed, average hitter with average on base percentage that doesn’t play defense well and mostly a platoon DH type guy. Could you decline option and get him for less or is he at market value at 8 milliin.  
    • I think at his age he's going to be what he's going to be velocity wise. Some guys are just going to be slim. He's not going to suddenly gains 15 pounds of muscle.
  • Popular Contributors