What about Mayo?

RZNJ

3 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I don't understand the doubts people have about Cowser's defense. Of course Cowser can handle CF. Will he be as good out there as Mullins or Jones or Devereaux or Blair? Probably not, at least in the beginning. But are those guys really our minimum benchmark for the position? I mean, the Yankees are penciling Aaron Judge in as their starting CF going forward. Is Cowser going to be a worse defensive outfielder than Judge? I doubt it. 

This is the same mindset that people are using to ding Mayo's defense at 3rd. We're used to having a potential GG at the hot corner so anybody who's merely adequate is seen is defective in some way. Mayo's defense at third will be good enough, same as Cowser in CF. 

I don't want this to come across as being anti Cowser. But your evaluation of him is really high. 

You ask why people have doubts about his defense. Uh did you watch him here last season (albeit in a SSS). He took some really bad routes to balls and the speed looked far from elite. You then ask will he ever be as good as the best defensive CFs in franchise history and you say "at least not in the beginning". I think that is really generous in Cowser's favor. The truth is, no he will never be as good as any of those 4 in CF and I think even comparing him to those guys is unfair to Cowser. Like when you look at the speed, ball tracking and explosion/first step quickness of a guy like Mullins and compare it to Cowser, there is just no comparison.

On to the point about Aaron Judge, the issue with Judge in CF is injury risk, not ability. Judge is an absolutely phenomenal athlete. Again, something I cannot use in good conscience when describing Cowser.

None of this is to say that Cowser won't be a good Major Leaguer and may very (hopefully) succeed this year. But it's probably better to be a tad more realistic when judging his abilities.

Lastly, the defensively value for a position like CF is very different for 3B. You can more readily get by with adequate at 3B. CF not so much.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Honestly we could lose Hays, Santander, and Mullins and replace them with Cowser, Santander, and Kjerstad with McKenna as backup and be just fine most likely. 

IMO the fall off defensively between Mullins to replace with Cowser would be significant. Also, Santander paired with Kjerstad in the same outfield may prove to be problematic. Neither really has the speed/range to handle LF at OPACY IMO.

4 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Curious how are you so sure of this?

If it were a serious consideration, they’d have to move Urias or Mateo (both of keeping Holliday). Since they gave arb offers to both, and can’t option either, they’ll be on the team until Elias decides to trade them. 

45 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If it were a serious consideration, they’d have to move Urias or Mateo (both of keeping Holliday). Since they gave arb offers to both, and can’t option either, they’ll be on the team until Elias decides to trade them. 

I mean sure, I understand the contract and roster dynamics, but to say that Mayo and Holliday cannot both exist on the OD roster simultaneously, let alone until June at the earliest, is too premature for my liking to call that a fact. 

If Elias decides it’s best to have the kids instead of the vets to start the season because it’s best for the team, I think he’ll make it work via trade or release. 

We know he covets draft capital, so if he can have two chances at the bonus ROY pick without harming the team, he’ll make it happen. 

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't want this to come across as being anti Cowser. But your evaluation of him is really high. 

You ask why people have doubts about his defense. Uh did you watch him here last season (albeit in a SSS). He took some really bad routes to balls and the speed looked far from elite. You then ask will he ever be as good as the best defensive CFs in franchise history and you say "at least not in the beginning". I think that is really generous in Cowser's favor. The truth is, no he will never be as good as any of those 4 in CF and I think even comparing him to those guys is unfair to Cowser. Like when you look at the speed, ball tracking and explosion/first step quickness of a guy like Mullins and compare it to Cowser, there is just no comparison.

On to the point about Aaron Judge, the issue with Judge in CF is injury risk, not ability. Judge is an absolutely phenomenal athlete. Again, something I cannot use in good conscience when describing Cowser.

None of this is to say that Cowser won't be a good Major Leaguer and may very (hopefully) succeed this year. But it's probably better to be a tad more realistic when judging his abilities.

Lastly, the defensively value for a position like CF is very different for 3B. You can more readily get by with adequate at 3B. CF not so much.

Thank you for summing up my thoughts better than I could do it myself. I think long term Cowser will be fine defensively in RF or LF. But his defense was less than impressive last year albeit in a small sample size with the Orioles.

As a spot starter Cowser in CF doesn't concern me, but if Mullins is out for an extended stretch I don't think Cowser is ready to play CF on a daily basis. That leaves McKenna and while I'm a fan of his game having to play him in CF when you have players like Kjerstad and Cowser is less than ideal.

Hopefully by next season Enrique Bradfield Jr. is ready and gives the Orioles some options when it comes to CF. It could tricky this season if Mullins can't stay healthy.

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Thank you for summing up my thoughts better than I could do it myself. I think long term Cowser will be fine defensively in RF or LF. But his defense was less than impressive last year albeit in a small sample size with the Orioles.

As a spot starter Cowser in CF doesn't concern me, but if Mullins is out for an extended stretch I don't think Cowser is ready to play CF on a daily basis. That leaves McKenna and while I'm a fan of his game having to play him in CF when you have players like Kjerstad and Cowser is less than ideal.

Hopefully by next season Enrique Bradfield Jr. is ready and gives the Orioles some options when it comes to CF. It could tricky this season if Mullins can't stay healthy.

Cowser started 8 games in CF during his first big league trial. He's a better centerfielder than he looked in that week's worth of games. He'd be at least adequate out there. 

9 hours ago, waroriole said:

SFG just upgrading 3B signing Chapman.  A few days later they waived JD Davis who makes almost $7m.  Mateo and Urias make last than $5m combined. 

Is he a good market comp?  Not looking at stats, I think I take Urias in a bubble.

Clearly different teams and budgets.  

The biggest X factor is how much value is placed on defense (both), speed (Mateo), and/or all-around (Urias) skills.  Mayo ceiling is higher than these guys.  

I tend to think you're right that Elias will want value for them though.  Injuries happen...