O’s Sign Suarez and Perez

Roll Tide

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Just struck out the side and got revenge on Trea Turner.  Wow!   Easily the most impressive pitching performance of the spring.  Decent changeup and slider but he put all 3 pitches right where the catcher wanted them.   Great signing, Elias!

I was just reading his bio.  Looks like he left MLB in 2018 to pitch in Japan and was pretty successful there.  An injury caused his team not to re-sign him, so now he's back.

Whew. This dude has a MLB fastball. 

Average velo 96.3. Spin rate 2452. 28 pitches, 17 swings, 10 whiffs. 

I’m with RZNJ, I don’t know how Elias found this guy or how he’s throwing 3 mph harder at age 34 than when he was last pitching in the MLB in 2017, but I want to see him in short relief.

It’s a shame, I think he has no options so he’s probably ticketed for AAA no matter what, but I think we’re going to see him in the majors this year. And potentially much more than anybody would have expected.

• Upvote 2

Baseball being as wonderful as it is, of course Seunghwan Oh was Albert Suarez's closer for Samsung last year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=5f280334

Oh joined the Cardinals in 2016 when 12-year old Jackson Holliday may or may not have had opportunity to build his life mastery of the game of baseball practicing against him like any 6th grader.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

We will see if the velo can be sustained for a longer period of time but maybe if he can keep the velo up for short stretches, he becomes a viable BP option.

The stuff definitely plays, that's for sure.

He was bringing it in the 3rd inning after 40+ pitches @ 96-97 on his fastball. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We will see if the velo can be sustained for a longer period of time but maybe if he can keep the velo up for short stretches, he becomes a viable BP option.

It's still kind of surreal to see the Orioles so competent when it comes to pitching.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Looks like a potential bullpen option to me. 

With 3 IP, appears they are stretching him out for AAA rotation. Depending on how he does and if the need arises, he could be a starter. Pitched 170+ and 160+ the last two years. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

With 3 IP, appears they are stretching him out for AAA rotation. Depending on how he does and if the need arises, he could be a starter. Pitched 170+ and 160+ the last two years. 

Yes, it looks like he's being stretched out but he looks to be one of the best 13'pitchers in camp, or more specifically,  one of the best 8 bullpen arms.   Can't see sticking this guy in Norfolk for something that might not even happen.  We have 5 starters.  Means coming back in May.  Bradish a big maybe.  Teheran as insurance and the long man.   Unless today was a complete mirage he needs to be on the team.

My first thought after catching up with his pretty incredible performance (yes it’s only early March, I know) was: keep him as a starter and Wells to the bullpen really sets us up well with RHB pen arms. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Albert Suarez is this years Cano if they make him a short reliever.  95-97 with command of 3 pitches.   I saw and I believe.   Faced the Phil’s A lineup.  Trea Turner took an outside fastball and just missed a home run but Suarez was very impressive.  Lots of swings and misses.   Didn’t get a lot of close pitches from the ump also.  Please make this guy a short reliever!

Yennier Cano is this year's Cano.

Just sayin'