Arbitration demands and offers to be exchanged next Friday (1/12)

Frobby

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

For the life of me, I have no idea why people are consistently quoting what MLBTR says for these numbers.  I even see national writers quote them and heard some hosts on MLB radio saying it the other day too. 

Normally they are pretty on point, but this year they've been a little all over the place it seems like.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

For the life of me, I have no idea why people are consistently quoting what MLBTR says for these numbers.  I even see national writers quote them and heard some hosts on MLB radio saying it the other day too. 

Well, they do have some algorithm they use, so I guess it's better than nothing if the writers are trying to make a guess.  BB-ref even uses them to estimate the next year's total payroll.  Cot's also does estimates, and those are lower at least 75% of the time, I'd say.   See the OP for the comparison.

Knockin' em out.

Hope settling arb stuff gets a few trades going. Sometimes I feel like teams don't want to inherit arb cases and they just wait until after the arb deadline. Don't know if that's actually a real thing though. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They were way off on Means but dead on for Tate, within $100K for Mountcastle and Mullins and $200K for Irvin.

Getting that close on the predictions for Mullins and Mountcastle is pretty impressive.

Edited by MurphDogg

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The reason I don’t like doing an extension through only the Arb years is it takes away your flexibility in case of a serious injury to just release the player a year early, but has no parallel upside.  

Hypothetically you save money if the player's performance takes a big step up, but I agree it's not usually a good idea.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Webb should be happy anyone wants to give him guaranteed money.

9 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

That's a fact.

Why does everyone hate this guy? He literally saved the bullpen at one of the most critical points of the year. He was worth nearly 1 WAR while guys like Perez were worth -0.3. He's never had an ERA above 4.19 as a ML reliever totalling 130 IP.

I certainly get that he faded after being used to death, and that he's not a backend reliever, but... he's certainy worthy of guaranteed money as a middle reliever on plenty of teams. Ours included when you factor in our other RH middle relief are... Baumann, Baker, and Tate. 

Worse relievers have been signed to guaranteed contracts on pretty good teams this offseason. 

Edited by interloper