Mateo Noise

Roll Tide

Unless I’m not understanding correctly, Frobby’s post on arbitration projections indicates that Mateo has already been tendered a contract ($2.7M). Doesn’t seem like Elias is ready to move on from him yet. 

17 minutes ago, Babkins said:

Unless I’m not understanding correctly, Frobby’s post on arbitration projections indicates that Mateo has already been tendered a contract ($2.7M). Doesn’t seem like Elias is ready to move on from him yet. 

Or at least thinks he can get something (anything) for him instead of a non tender and letting him go for nothing.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Mateo's value at this point is that he can play multiple positions, most importantly shortstop, has elite speed, and can occasionally get into a ball. I hold out no hope that he will ever be a consistent hitter, but I do think he's a decent utility guy. 

If I believed that's how they'd use him,  as a utility guy/pinch runner, then I wouldn't mind so much him being on the roster. But Hyde had shown he's going to give the Mateos on the roster WAY too many starts and at bats for me to want him around.   

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Or at least thinks he can get something (anything) for him instead of a non tender and letting him go for nothing.

He probably wants the flexibility to keep or trade him.  I doubt he’s irrevocably committed to either course. 

15 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

If I believed that's how they'd use him,  as a utility guy/pinch runner, then I wouldn't mind so much him being on the roster. But Hyde had shown he's going to give the Mateos on the roster WAY too many starts and at bats for me to want him around.   

Last year, Mateo made 66 starts in the first 83 games.  In the final 79 games, he started 31 times.  So, Hyde did make a big adjustment.  Now, if you’re thinking that even starting 40% of the time is too much, I guess there’s reason for some concern.   

• Upvote 1

Mateo's value at this point is that he can play multiple positions, most importantly shortstop, has elite speed, and can occasionally get into a ball. I hold out no hope that he will ever be a consistent hitter, but I do think he's a decent utility guy. 

If he continues to get reps in CF and becomes more comfortable with the position, then he's an ideal utility man, pinch runner, defensive replacement for this team. Can probably meet be on from McKenna then

This is what I expected to see of him toward the end of the season, especially as a pinch runner, but that didn't happen.  Not many opportunities against the Rangers, sadly, but he wasn't used much, if at all for his speed.  Occasionally, sure, but not consistently.

17 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

This is where I am too.  I think there's potential, but his history shows it's a very shaky bet.  So if there's a team that wants to take that bet at a rate that scores us a decent reliever, I think I'm ready to take that.  I'd prefer keeping Urias' glove and more reliable bat.  I can do without the speed part for more reliablitiy in the field and at the plate.  Urias can spell every IF position except 1B.  It's those positions where there's more need for evaluation of farm guys. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last year, Mateo made 66 starts in the first 83 games.  In the final 79 games, he started 31 times.  So, Hyde did make a big adjustment.  Now, if you’re thinking that even starting 40% of the time is too much, I guess there’s reason for some concern.   

Yes,  starting 40% of the time is still way to much.   I'm not sure I even want him starting 20% of the time.   2 reasons.   First, his bat doesn't justify that many at bats.  And second his real value is to be plugged into the basepaths at key moments.  If he's already in the lineup that option is removed.  

53 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Yes,  starting 40% of the time is still way to much.   I'm not sure I even want him starting 20% of the time.   2 reasons.   First, his bat doesn't justify that many at bats.  And second his real value is to be plugged into the basepaths at key moments.  If he's already in the lineup that option is removed.  

The problem is if Mateo is on the team I think Hyde is going to play him more than 20% of the time. So while he still might be a valuable utility player cutting or trading him seems like it would be a greater good type of move to me. 

• Upvote 1