Will Ryan O'Hearn be traded?

wildcard

8 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I agree with this but wonder how much is ME vs Hyde's wishes. Hyde didn't use Cowser or Ortiz when they came up but ME announced Westburg who did get playing time. Was that ME sending a message or was Westburg just a "finished product"?? Hyde likes his vets.

We know there will be a veteran bat signing.  I hope it's in the OF.  There's no way the O's need another IF.

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

We know there will be a veteran bat signing.  I hope it's in the OF.  There's no way the O's need another IF.

They don't really need an OF either.  Unless they signed a real difference maker.   Which they won't.   🙂

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

I agree with this but wonder how much is ME vs Hyde's wishes. Hyde didn't use Cowser or Ortiz when they came up but ME announced Westburg who did get playing time. Was that ME sending a message or was Westburg just a "finished product"?? Hyde likes his vets.

I don't know if that's the case. Hyde has been through a rebuild before when he had a bunch of talented young players getting into the Major League for the first time when he was with the Cubs. Those young guys lit the baseball world on fire and ended the curse of the billy goat for the Cubs first World Series in more than a 100 years.

10 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

I think you are giving Hyde too much credit for his lineup choices and who he plays. I'm pretty sure he's given his lineup each day like the managers in the minor leagues are. Now he's mentioned that it's a joint effort with the trainers and the sigbot guys, but I don't think he has the authority to just bury a guy like Stowers and Ortiz were when they were on the roster.

• Upvote 1

In his limited 26 ABs vs. LHP last season, O'Hearn hit 2 home runs and OPS'd .789 (.802 vs. RHP). It's almost certainly a SSS effect, but considering how much he improved at the plate last year, it's possible he's no longer as big a liability vs. lefties as he's been during most of his career.

If we don’t make a Cease trade then it’s possible O’Hearn could be dealt before OD. What’s really his trade value?  My guess is that it would be a similar return as the Sulser/Scott trade, but we weren’t expected to compete that year. Would even a comp pick B be worth giving up depth?

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we don’t make a Cease trade then it’s possible O’Hearn could be dealt before OD. What’s really his trade value?  My guess is that it would be a similar return as the Sulser/Scott trade, but we weren’t expected to compete that year. Would even a comp pick B be worth giving up depth?

Man that Scott trade is looking pretty rough right now. Can’t help but wonder what our bullpen would look like with him, Phillips, and Harvey in it. You wouldn’t needed to sign Kimbrel or Givens, that’s for sure.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What does a Cease trade have to do with O'Hearn?

3 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

What does a Cease trade have to do with O'Hearn?

Presumably Cowser or Kjerstad would be traded leaving us one fewer lefty bat

10 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

Man that Scott trade is looking pretty rough right now. Can’t help but wonder what our bullpen would look like with him, Phillips, and Harvey in it. You wouldn’t needed to sign Kimbrel or Givens, that’s for sure.

They are relievers, there are up and down. You cant keep everybody. It cuts both ways We got Felix, Cano, Coulumbe, Perez for next to nothing, Before that Blierer Armstrong Etc among others

13 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

O'Hearn is not worth anything.

Yeah. But you can’t carry all these guys.

16 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

They are relievers, there are up and down. You cant keep everybody. It cuts both ways We got Felix, Cano, Coulumbe, Perez for next to nothing, Before that Blierer Armstrong Etc among others

Sure. It’s the GMs job to evaluate talent though and those 3 look elite right now. Instead we’ve got Baker and Krehbiel

16 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

O'Hearn is not worth anything.

O’Hearn and Urias are worth more to us as depth then they would bring back in a trade. However, if we don’t make a Cease trade, then we should give Ortiz and Kjerstad/Cowser a shot in ST to beat both of them out. 

For however boring this offseason has been, ST will be really fun and exciting. Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Cowser, and Ortiz, could all be battling for roles on the 2024 team. Possibly OD. Basallo being this year’s version of 2023 Holliday ST. Our ST road game lineups are going to be fun. 

24 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

Yeah. But you can’t carry all these guys.

Sure. It’s the GMs job to evaluate talent though and those 3 look elite right now. Instead we’ve got Baker and Krehbiel

Yeah but a GM needs roster spots so if you could have those 3 right now (and youre cherry picking) What 3 of the above mentioned 4 do you want to say goodbye too? The above are pretty elite too.