Starting pitcher: What would be your preference?

Sports Guy

Choose your preference   

101 members have voted

1. 1. If each of these options were on the table, which would would you do?

• Mayo, Westburg, Mateo and Beavers for Luzardo
    • Kjerstad and Westburg for Cease
    • Sign a FA starter to a 1 year deal
    • Go into the season with the starters we have

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/24/24 at 17:07

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This is a walk in the park.  You should see SG against the entire WS board.

My comment wasn't aimed at him, really.  It could have been anyone who'd started another prospects for Cease/Luzardo thread.  It's all been diced up and down a million different ways and, like I said, it's been exhausting.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

My comment wasn't aimed at him, really.  It could have been anyone who'd started another prospects for Cease/Luzardo thread.  It's all been diced up and down a million different ways and, like I said, it's been exhausting.

Honestly, I’m pretty surprised by the results of this poll. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This depends on the free agent. And since I don't have that information, I can't vote for it. Because I'm not throwing money away on a guy like Paxton when we already have pitchers with a higher ceiling and similar floor than that on the roster.

If it we had an owner who was willing to spend on a guy like Snell or Montgomery, then I would vote on it. But we have penny pinching owners when it comes to free agents.

So I have to vote for what we got and hope we can bolster the bullpen with a reliable consistent relief pitcher.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Honestly, I’m pretty surprised by the results of this poll. 

I’m not really surprised. 

I think people here realize that some prospects need to be traded but (and this is silly) they also like knowing for the first time in 35 years we have an absolutely stacked system. Posters have glommed onto their individual prospect crushes outside the holy trinity of Holliday, Mayo and Basallo. 

Some think Kjerstad is a dude, others see him as expendable. Some see Westburg and Ortiz and Cowser on the same parts of the spectrum. 

So I think some would continue to hoard prospects, sign a FA starter, then maybe trade some guys later this season. 

10 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This depends on the free agent. And since I don't have that information, I can't vote for it. Because I'm not throwing money away on a guy like Paxton when we already have pitchers with a higher ceiling and similar floor than that on the roster.

If it we had an owner who was willing to spend on a guy like Snell or Montgomery, then I would vote on it. But we have penny pinching owners when it comes to free agents.

So I have to vote for what we got and hope we can bolster the bullpen with a reliable consistent relief pitcher.

Pick any FA that is realistically signing for one year. I didn’t narrow it down to anyone because everyone has their preference.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Pick any FA that is realistically signing for one year. I didn’t narrow it down to anyone because everyone has their preference.

I already voted to go with what already have. Though I would prefer a free agent like Snell or Montgomery, I know it would never happen with this owner. Either way, the price is too steep for those trades. If it was Burnes or Valdez and we had a chance to extend them, then I would have been more open to those options.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why is that a problem?

I think there is a pretty fair shot that six years of Westburg is going to produce more value than two years of Cease.

The supposed goal is to win a title right?

Trading six years for two can be fine if it helps leads to that goal.

I'd didn't say it was a problem.  It's a good place to be in... having youth that has potential to be significantly better at the positions some guys are currently playing who on their way out is an excellent place to be in.  I'm not sure how you interpreted my position.

Edited by drjohnnyfever1

I don't believe Luzardo is available, I absolutely refuse HK & Westburg for Cease. Cowser & Ortiz for Cease, and not much else, was my pain point. Cease would be nice but not at that price. I believe HK is closer to Mayo level bat and will play an average RF. Westburg has shown he belongs and plays above avg at 2B & 3B. With Gunnar here and Holiday coming, Ortiz will not play SS in BAL and SS is where his max value is. Cowser is not a CF, he needs to play LF at AAA exclusively until Hay's inevitable injury. I would go for a Paxton/Ryu signing to eat the innings delta that Means won't cover relative to Gibson. We still need Bradish, GRod, and Kremer to cover what they did last year. Hyde needs to use his long men for multi innings like he did in early 2022 with Aiken to avoid the burnout of the bullpen in 1 inning-matchup roles. I would prefer a 1-year FA coupled with a MIA trade for Rogers/Perez/Meyer. They need SS (Ortiz/Mateo/Urias), power (Santa/Stowers/Norby) plus Paxton.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why is that a problem?

I think there is a pretty fair shot that six years of Westburg is going to produce more value than two years of Cease.

The supposed goal is to win a title right?

Trading six years for two can be fine if it helps leads to that goal.

I absolutely agree with the above Corn. I would give up 6 years of an incredible career by Westbrook if it meant one title.  Even for the chance to have a run with Cease.  But that isn’t the gamble and more importantly that doesn’t seem to be the cost. 

It’s more like 24-30 years of performance for a guy who might, if he can get back to his best, be good enough to get that title. 

If we characterize Elias as being heavily opposed to risk, I have to believe he is practically begging for the money to sign say, Montgomery.  Either way, whether I want to pull the trigger on not. I just don’t think Elias will for the prices being proposed. 

6 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I absolutely agree with the above Corn. I would give up 6 years of an incredible career by Westbrook if it meant one title.  Even for the chance to have a run with Cease.  But that isn’t the gamble and more importantly that doesn’t seem to be the cost. 

It’s more like 24-30 years of performance for a guy who might, if he can get back to his best, be good enough to get that title. 

If we characterize Elias as being heavily opposed to risk, I have to believe he is practically begging for the money to sign say, Montgomery.  Either way, whether I want to pull the trigger on not. I just don’t think Elias will for the prices being proposed. 

So you think between four and five guys all have careers at least six years long?

Does that sound likely to you?

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you think between four and five guys all have careers at least six years long?

Does that sound likely to you?

Kjeratad, Westburg, Povich…I do yes. Is that a given?  Of course not. But just because the next name or two isn’t as highly ranked does not mean they cannot stick either. 

But your point is fair. But the ask is still potentially 24-30 years with 18-20 being a pretty reasonable  bet.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

Kjeratad, Westburg, Povich…I do yes. Is that a given?  Of course not. But just because the next name or two isn’t as highly ranked does not mean they cannot stick either. 

But your point is fair. But the ask is still potentially 24-30 years with 18-20 being a pretty reasonable  bet.

Oh you are way more optimistic on the probable career length.

I think the odds of a Povich hitting six years is pretty slim.

I think Frobby looked into it once.

There is this from 2007.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070709131254.htm

The average career of a Major League Baseball player is 5.6 years, according to a new study. The study also revealed that one in five position players will have only a single-year career, and that at every point of a player's career, the player's chance of ending his career is at least 11 percent.