Orioles Sign Daniel Johnson to mil contract (tea leaves?)

RZNJ

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He has a track record of being a low .700’s OPS guy. Any decline from that makes him a pretty unproductive hitter.

You use “track record” and the small sample size of “the first 3 weeks of the season” in the same argument. And even during those 3 weeks, he was hitting at a low pct, striking out a lot, but squared up a couple to inflate the OPS.

I’ve been on this website 20 years.  I can’t even count the number of times that posters wanted to relegate a long time starter to the bench, or cut him, or lower him in the lineup, or pinch hit for him in key situations, based on a few weeks of poor performance.   It’s a fact: actual GM’s and managers are less reactive than fans to slumps.  Doesn’t mean they’re always right or the fans are always wrong.  But the professionals give their vets a pretty long time to work their way out of slumps.   And it doesn’t matter who the GM or manager is.  

Edited by Frobby

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been on this website 20 years.  I can’t even count the number of times that posters wanted to relegate a long time starter to the bench, or cut him, or lower him in the lineup, or pinch hit for him in key situations, based on a few weeks of poor performance.   It’s a fact: actual GM’s and managers are less reactive than fans to slumps.  Doesn’t mean they’re always right or the fans are always wrong.  But the professionals give their vets a pretty long time to work their way out of slumps.   And it doesn’t matter who the GM or manager is.  

That’s fine. I’m just saying, Mullins doesn’t have a track record of being a star at the plate and he did not look as good visually over the first 3 week as the OPS stated.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

That’s fine. I’m just saying, Mullins doesn’t have a track record of being a star at the plate and he did not look as good visually over the first 3 week as the OPS stated.

He’s not a star at the plate but he was still a 2.8 rWAR player last year despite missing 1/4 of the season with injuries.  I’ll accept your opinion that he didn’t look as good visually early as his OPS suggested, but even if so, he didn’t look anywhere near as bad as he has recently.  

Edited by Frobby

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Also, slumps typically get magnified when the team is struggling to score runs, which is something this team has had for a few weeks now. 

• Upvote 1