Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Sports used to be an avenue away from politics for me, but that's changing more and more nowadays. 

It does get harder and harder to avoid. Anyway, I probably shouldn't have said anything on here, just couldn't contain my annoyance at finding a small turd in the punchbowl. It's not like I can do anything about it, so I'll shut up.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno about you guys, but I'm enjoying the reaction from other fanbases right now.  I saw some Yankees fans on twitter a little while ago, they were scared that we're going to start spending money and once we do it's all over for them.

Glanced at Sox Talk, lot of rationalizing over there - he'll strip them for parts, he's a bad guy, etc.  I think they've missed the part where he's a Baltimore guy/fan.

On another note, they have their own 'Cease Trade' thread over there, up to 303 pages, even longer than here.  We have taken our eyes off the real thread of the offseason!  LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Glanced at Sox Talk, lot of rationalizing over there - he'll strip them for parts, he's a bad guy, etc.  I think they've missed the part where he's a Baltimore guy/fan.

On another note, they have their own 'Cease Trade' thread over there, up to 303 pages, even longer than here.  We have taken our eyes off the real thread of the offseason!  LOL

Their thread is significantly longer as they have more posts per thread. But, none of their other threads get more attention. That Cease thread IS their message board pretty much. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Other than obviously the baseball personnel side of things, I think I'm most curious about how this affects MASN. 

The list of complaints about MASN are nearly limitless, from letting Gary Thorne walk, to disciplining Kevin Brown, to the constant errors/sound issues/shoddy production, to the lack of televised ST games, to just overall having been gutted down to the studs in the JA era. 

That's not even mentioning the ongoing (?) litigation with the Nats.

What will it look like in the Rubenstein era? As a guy with his own TV show, he will know the value of a good televised product. Could he build it back up? Will he renegotiate anything with the Nats? MASN is a rat's nest and I'm curious how he will determine the value of it and what changes, if anything. 

It would be wonderful if he was willing to invest serious money in improving the product there. I get stuck watching NESN broadcasts whenever the O's play the Red Sox - I can't stand the Sox or most of their tv guys, but I have to admit that the production values are first rate. It would be great for MASN to get up to that standard. I'm generally hoping that all the corners that have been getting cut over the years (not televising ST games, not sending broadcast crews on the road, etc, etc) will be relics of the past now.

• Upvote 2

Just now, dystopia said:

Their thread is significantly longer as they have more posts per thread. But, none of their other threads get more attention. That Cease thread IS their message board pretty much. 

More posts per page is what I meant to say. 

Just now, dystopia said:

The Cease thread was this message board too, up until about 7PM or so last night.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Other than obviously the baseball personnel side of things, I think I'm most curious about how this affects MASN. 

The list of complaints about MASN are nearly limitless, from letting Gary Thorne walk, to disciplining Kevin Brown, to the constant errors/sound issues/shoddy production, to the lack of televised ST games, to just overall having been gutted down to the studs in the JA era. 

That's not even mentioning the ongoing (?) litigation with the Nats.

What will it look like in the Rubenstein era? As a guy with his own TV show, he will know the value of a good televised product. Could he build it back up? Will he renegotiate anything with the Nats? MASN is a rat's nest and I'm curious how he will determine the value of it and what changes, if anything. 

Streaming/app situation is not good either.

1 minute ago, deward said:

It would be wonderful if he was willing to invest serious money in improving the product there. I get stuck watching NESN broadcasts whenever the O's play the Red Sox - I can't stand the Sox or most of their tv guys, but I have to admit that the production values are first rate. It would be great for MASN to get up to that standard. I'm generally hoping that all the corners that have been getting cut over the years (not televising ST games, not sending broadcast crews on the road, etc, etc) will be relics of the past now.

Yeah, networks like NESN and YES really put MASN to shame. I don't expect MASN to be some exceptional first-rate product, but avoiding being a complete embarrassment would be a nice start. 

It's clear it's a skeleton crew over there as Angelos tried to crush the overhead costs knowing what they would owe the Nats. I think the easiest thing they can do to improve it would be to just hire more experienced people and increase the budget for sending crews on the road, like you mentioned. 

Just now, SilentJames said:

Oh its terrible - but when it works it does in fact work (I just have to borrow my mother-in-law's Comcast login). 

Please just give me a reliable streaming option. 

MASN should be broadcasting Towson, Morgan, UMBC, Coppin, Howard, Richmond, Mason, Bowie, Virginia State, Loyola games. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, deward said:

It does get harder and harder to avoid. Anyway, I probably shouldn't have said anything on here, just couldn't contain my annoyance at finding a small turd in the punchbowl. It's not like I can do anything about it, so I'll shut up.

Sports has always been a part of politics, politics has always been a part of sport. They have never been separate, the only thing that changed is who is allowed the mic. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

MASN should be broadcasting Towson, Morgan, UMBC, Coppin, Howard, Richmond, Mason, Bowie, Virginia State, Loyola games. 

I like that idea. Would be cool if they did some baseball coverage outside D1 too: Salisbury, Frostburg, and Harford CC for example have been lights out in college baseball

1 hour ago, nevadaO said:

Watch JA turn around and try to get the expansion team in Nashville.

He can try but he would have ZERO chance.  You think MLB wants anything to do with anyone named Angelos any longer?